ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
Hospital Grade Receptacles required per Nec in Patient Bed Locations/.
Exam rooms at Doctors offices are NOT Patient Bed Locations.
Exam tables Doctors offices come with Hospital Grade Plugs feeding Hospital Grade Outlets on theses Exam tables.

Code then as I see says Hosptal Grade Outlets NOT required.
BUT Listing & Lableing of Exam table does.
Interesting . Yoopersup

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Yep thats about the way it is.
Watch out for those dental chairs also. I've been seeing ones that have a tag on them that require they be plugged into a Hospital Grade Receptacle

Equip mfg specs on most (if not all) medical equipment I have seen require HG receptacles to match the HG cord cap.

Most EC's here just put them in as SOP. Our hospital stocks ALL HG devices, so there can be no 'mistakes'.

John
G
Yep I agree with the need for Hospital Grade receptacles in these areas where the equipment is equipped with Hospital Grade caps. I think it should also be mentioned that the redundant ground conductor is required whether or not the receptacle is Hospital Grade or not. Of course we all knew that, but it's the weasel in me that had to say it smile

George Little
L
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Equip mfg specs on most (if not all) medical equipment I have seen require HG receptacles to match the HG cord cap.

Most EC's here just put them in as SOP. Our hospital stocks ALL HG devices, so there can be no 'mistakes'.

But... Is the wiring all HG? Thats the question.
An HG recep not wired properly can be trouble.

Le:
Yes, HCF is installed. It's checked on Plan Review & field checked on inspections.

George:
Come on now!....I once had a guy spray paint BX green..LOL

John
E
I have a question along the same lines, but somewhat unrelated: It used to be that phone jacks in patient rooms where oxygen was in use were required to be wired for the RJ17C standard. Does anybody know if that still applies?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
In Canada a Doctors exam room, a dentists chair and even a psychiatrists couch are patient care locations. (I know it is a bit of overkill) and have to be wired as for patient care for any device located within 5 feet (1.5M) of the bed. Hospital grade receptacles and equipotential wiring are all required.

Y
Part VI 517.80
Try that for a start.

G
Ernie- You just caught my attention about the communications wiring in Hospitals. In the State of Michigan you do not need a license or any training to install communication wiring in buildings. To make matters worse, you are exempt from permits and inspections. Now that will give you a warm fuzzy feeling next time your in the OR. I can't believe the telecommunication people and the lobbyist were able to pull that off but they did.

George Little

Link Copied to Clipboard