ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 422 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
HotLine1 #185029 02/28/09 10:59 AM
S
Sparks:
The back stabber could also be one of the hacks!

yeah, they do get on my nerves here....

As to the stimulator...yes, the heavy construction (roads etc) may see $$$; but I doubt if the average EC (resi/small comm) will see anything.

oh i dunno, seems there's always a few crumbs for us wee folk Hot one, i did get a job doing lights via some bridgework project once....

and i'd be more than willing to jump in as a sub on some of those shovel ready jobs, they always need a few local scarecrows....

on well , this always cheers me up>>>>

Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

~S~

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
sparky #185045 02/28/09 04:47 PM
Thanks that was good for a chuckle

dougwells #185047 02/28/09 05:29 PM
S
Hey Doug, if you've a twisted sense of humour like mine you'll like this>>>>>

(link removed)

~S~

Let's get back on subject here please...
Webmaster

Last edited by Webmaster; 02/28/09 08:52 PM. Reason: link removed
sparky #185098 03/02/09 11:45 PM
T
Action in the markets is getting scary right now.

Further declines can build momentum downward: many 'legacy' corporations still have defined-benefit pension plans on the books.

Under the latest accounting rules the pension fund portfolio standing behind the retirees must be Marked-To-Market for each reporting period. Any losses must be reflected to the income statement and balance sheet.

Since this is hardly unique... in such a severe market drop as now: each company's troubles link directly into the next.

We have a real prospect of run-away bad news.

Such depressing events can then lead to even further business contractions.

It is particularly unfortunate that the President has decided to increase taxes on energy: that's where we make our living.

Proposed cap and trade schemes will make coal generated power much less economic. Since half of our juice comes from coal the impact will be felt widely.

The current state of the markets means that no one can raise serious money... even for 'green power' projects.

IIRC one of the nations biggest solar companies 'fell out of bed' the other day: a huge slug of booked orders just got canceled at a stroke. The stock lost 40% in the blink of an eye.

That's not good, since PV systems is one of the few areas that offers decent work prospects.

So if energy taxes are going up, then it is all the more important for every electrician to emphasize efficiency.

I just don't see a big market for anything but savings.

Tesla
Tesla #185103 03/03/09 12:52 AM
L
Chill pill needed. Please.

I am not working,my savings are dwindling,the house needs painting (again).

BUT:

My child is healthy,my bride (female spousal equivalent) is beautiful,my neighbors are great, I'm adopting a cat named "BoB",My dogs 'go' outside. spring is coming (in the Northeast that is huge!)and I'm sure of 100 other good things (just rattled now so a lil' brain block)

And what little I have,I'm spending on the carpenter and the plumber (both local). I'll rebuild the economy myself by spending my money on things I need.

I suggest we all do the same. Buy a mattress and put the cash in it (shut down the TV). 1 contractor and project at a time.

Just smile. Life is good (and what you make of it).You could be dead. That is forever.

leland #185105 03/03/09 01:57 AM
S
yanno, i've been trying to break into the solar gig here, but the #'s just don't amortize that well

at least in Vermont....

the state, as many do, have a really swell rebate deal, but you have to have a certification

and the schools for it are few and far.....

~S~

bauler #185141 03/04/09 12:45 PM
Cat Servant
As many know, I am helping teach apprentices two nighta a week. I won't deny it: this work has made a huge difference in my situation. I took the job for fun; it has turned out to be critical. December was particularly grim.

In the past week, many of the larger contractors have had to cut back; most of my students are working 20 hour weeks. The trade association is trying to keep other occupied, with haz-mat classes and the like.

On the positive side, I am beginning to see the return of a few trade-related classifieds in the paper. How serious these ads are is open to question .... but the classifieds were empty for December and January.

One cannot understate the importance of attitude in a time like this. Today, we got hit with a whopper of a snowstorm - this is GREAT news. Why? Because, in one fell swoop, our water reserves have been restored to 'normal,' giving us one less thing to be glum about. Heck, I may even volunteer some time, teaching our fish how to swim again laugh

Reno:
FWIW, I teach (P/T) at a County Vo-Tech, 1 or 2 nites, also basically for 'pocket money' & giving the 'young ones' guidance.

Last week, two looked really glum....I asked 'what's up'?
Both were laid-off from there jobs.

Our classifieds have been void of 'electrician' jobs for the last 3+ months. Today's had 1 electrician/comm/experienced ad.

Better days are coming. It's another day closer to spring; expect to see 45-55 degrees for a high Fri/Sat to melt the 12" snowfall.

John
HotLine1 #185170 03/05/09 12:50 AM
L
I'm seeing 2-3 adds a week related to the field.
Applied to all. No answers. 1 interview,not suited for either of us.

I think my 23 years ,is scaring some,they may need to pay me.

Got another interview on Friday,This CO is looking for 3 service techs,1 FA and 4 construction guys. I have worked for them in the past.This could be the first solid option in a month.

Another guy (1 hr away) called and has 2 good size jobs coming up. This is a casual acquaintance.He is going to try to help.

My luck (usually bad) these will all break at once and I'll need to decide.
Could have worse problems I suppose.

keep smiling,things always pick up in the spring!

leland #185189 03/05/09 05:13 PM
S
i pulled a permit on a building which went out of biz last month, a reno for a new biz to move in

but the new biz leesee didn't pull a building permit, as i found out today when the fire marshal showed up

they (the state) wants 30K-40K worth of code updates done before anyone or anything opens their doors there

so , due to beauracracy, i'm home sitting on my a*s here....

~S~

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard