ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I recently changed a service from 100 amps to 200 amps. The inside panel had a ground wire going to the water pipe. This panel is not located with the mains outside. Can I leave this ground wire hooked up or do I disconnect it? I have the grounding electrode outside connectected to the Main panel outside. Thanks... Steve

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

F
For myself I will leave it and that panel become a subpanel so as long you have grouding bar in there and keep the netrual and ground seprated and the exsting EGC is there you can use it.

{ unless your local code say something diffrent then follow thier regualtions }

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
Metal main water pipe?
What is your main ground electrode now?
Either way, the copper water pipe must be bonded.

sounds like your ok, bond the pipe to the Subs ground.Jump the meter so you have a good bond on the house side.

250.52 addresses this.

Last edited by leland; 02/13/09 02:13 PM. Reason: water meter jumper
K
Originally Posted by sparkync
I recently changed a service from 100 amps to 200 amps. The inside panel had a ground wire going to the water pipe. This panel is not located with the mains outside. Can I leave this ground wire hooked up or do I disconnect it? I have the grounding electrode outside connectected to the Main panel outside. Thanks... Steve

I think the problem might be that if it was previously 100A, then that bond to the water piping is probably only a #6 or #8 Cu.
With a 200A, it now should be at least #4, according to Table 250.66.
I would remove the old wire and run a new #4 Cu from the piping to the main panel outside. IMO, that's where it really belongs anyway.

L
K-Jay- hello.

At this point providing he met the proper GEC methods. Isn't this just now a bond?

Y
Kjay is Right your grounding electroid wire at the outside 100 is probally 6 or 8.
You need a #4 for 200 amps . (250.66)
This MUST be run to the Service disconnecting means outside Not subpanel. (250.24C).
Also read (250.50)250.52)
Yoopersup

L
If the water main is primary, then a supplemental GE is needed.
My understanding is He has his ground (thru rods) met.Now the water need only be bonded.

Y
ALL grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(a)1 though (a)6 that are PRESENT. shall be bonded TOGETHER to form grounding electrod system.
See 250.52 Water Underground Water pipeing.
Your only bonding the water line when less then 10ft of metal pipe is outside the building.
Again read code sections I refered to in my ist post.
Yoopersup
If its part of the Grounding Electrod system it must go to the Service disconnect or disconnect switches.

L
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
ALL grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(a)1 though (a)6 that are PRESENT. shall be bonded TOGETHER to form grounding electrod system.
See 250.52 Water Underground Water pipeing.
Your only bonding the water line when less then 10ft of metal pipe is outside the building.
Again read code sections I refered to in my ist post.
Yoopersup
If its part of the Grounding Electrod system it must go to the Service disconnect or disconnect switches.

Got Me Guy!!!
"..That are present...."
Up size it and bring that conductor back to the main.

Thanx for grabbing my attention to that.I got tunnel vision.

Cat Servant
Look at 250.66 closer ... the text, not the table. You need not have a GEC larger than #6, no matter the service size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard