ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grover Offline OP
Can I run 12/3 across a garage, overhead to a basement, and then use this shared neutral to feed 2 GFI proctected dircuits? Pigtail the neutral to go to each separate circuit - each having 2-3 outlets - unknown and variable loads - depending on homeowner.

Breaker will be a 2 pole 20 - yoked - common trip.

Each GFI will compare incoming - red or black - with neutral, and will be independant of the load on the other red or black feed. Right?

So if the load on the black is 6A and the load on the red is 10A what happens? In this case, does the GFI device look only "downstream", or does it look "upstream" as well - that is, does it see the imbalance at the pigtail, or only on the load side of the device?

Or do I need a 2 pole GFI breaker?

Thanks!

Grov

G
A gfci does not look at anything on the line side of the device. As long as you split out your multiwire before you feed the GFCIs you will be fine

Greg Fretwell
W
2 pole GFCI breaker will not work in that application, stick with the receptacles they will work for you.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Grover Offline OP
Thanks guys!

Grov

J
JBD Offline
Actually, a 2-pole GFCI would work in your case, but there is no need to use one. Your GFCI receptacles idea is just fine.

GFCI's simply look at the total amount of current that flows out of their load terminals and compare it to the total amount that flows back in.

T
After all your 120/240 3 wire feeder is just like what feeds your main panel, so what should be the problem?

Link Copied to Clipboard