ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181028 09/19/08 02:36 PM
Went to look at a job I did some work at a month ago...POCO has replaced the meter but rental unit owner didn't have power so I went to look. Someone had stolen all the copper plumbing.
I checked to make sure service conductors were still in place they were.
But I found this. The metal water main is still bonded:

[Linked Image]

BTW this place also had the meter pulled by the PoCo and the jaws were insulated until some repairs were done inside, this pic was from about 5 weeks ago when the "Tenant" decided to reconnect the shack. I didn't start the job until the POCO was informed of the tampering, so they wouldn't think it was me:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Trumpy; 09/20/08 09:53 PM. Reason: Few spelling errors
Its kind of scary that some know of this method to steal the GEC for selling to metal recyclers.
A home owner or a rental unit occupant may not even noticed that the Grounding system has been tampered with.

Originally Posted by dougwells
Its kind of scary that some know of this method to steal the GEC for selling to metal recyclers.
A home owner or a rental unit occupant may not even noticed that the Grounding system has been tampered with.

Doug,
Does Canada use a GEC tied in with the Supply Neutral?
This can often mean that the Neutral will end up carrying Fault current where the GEC is not present.
This can start fires where there is a bad connection in the Neutral system, might not be your house, but could be next door or down the street, all that fault current wants to do is get to ground with the least amount of work done.

Like-wise, you never disconnect a GEC without very good reason and you should be wearing hot gloves when doing so.
You never know what is happening down the street.
A clamp-meter will often tell you though

Link Copied to Clipboard