ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Both the receptacles pictured are available from Leviton stock, and are still produced.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by kale
Both the receptacles pictured are available from Leviton stock, and are still produced.

Yes, the receptacles are available. But, the delta breakers in NEC2005 408.36(E) and NEC2008 408.36(C) are no longer manufactured.

I see nothing that prohibits you from using a 3-pole breaker in a single phase panel, as long as it is not being used for supplying 3-phase equipment. Notice, the NEC issue is with the number of phases not poles. I do not know about manufacturer prohibitions.

K
That is why I was wondering if manufacturers are still making the 3-pole plug-in style breakers, since I think I still have some older ones left in stock.
This quote is from page 89 of the "07 White Book [DIVQ]. It is the sentence just above the one in my other post.

"3-pole circuit breakers are suitable for use only on 3-phase systems unless marked to indicate otherwise".

It seems that if the manufacturer says its okay, then no problem. Not that I can actually recall ever running into the device situation described in the posts, but would be good to know just in case. They are probably worried about someone using 3-hots on one neutral conductor on single phase. Seems that the NEC assumes that we are all idiots that must be protected from ourselves.

Originally Posted by pdh
For the latter, you'll need to find dual circuit cable since you can't remark the blue wire of three phase cable as an extra neutral per 200.6(A).

what about 200.6 E exception 1 or 2?

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
G
Matt those are so narrowly defined that most AHJs will be reluctant to allow them in general use.
"Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation" will only apply in very well regulated industrial applications and I doubt anyone here has seem much "multiconductor varnished-cloth-insulated cable" at the supply house. wink

BTW if you dig around a little you will see it is OK to use blue for a neutral in "cords" but that is just to allow things here that come from Europe where a cord is blue (neutral), brown (hot) and green/yellow ground.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard