ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
When I first started my business I joined a networking group,I think I paid 300.00 a year for the membership.
Be careful when picking the group to join because not all members take networking seriously. I got about 5000.00 in business over the 6 months I was a member. The group was dissolved because there were two women fighting over who was more qualified to be President of the group. Too much politics. You are also required to be there every week and if you can't make it you must have a substitute. I was happy to leave the group because I need my mornings to get the guys ready for the day.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
I spoke with the nominal head of this group, and - amazing! - he had also noticed that the guy was contracting without a license. He then asked me what I planned to do. I suggested that having an unqualified person in the group was a recipe for disaster.

In other news.....

A customer, who just LOVED me as I had been recommended to him by a previous customer .... was most unhappy with my bill - though I had given him an estimate in advance. I'm having a chat with the person who referred him tomorrow.

I also got my first call from an attorney - another person I get to meet tomorrow. The subject is previous job, where the issues are primarily plumbing. All I did was plug in a pump. The main parties in dispute are the customer, and their landlord.

Cat Servant
Gee, nothing like my "first week" for excitement! Now, if only some of that excitement transforms into income!

At least today started off with a smile: I succeeded in getting a waterfall pump operating. It's amazing how many things went wrong with that circuit. The gardener got one thing right, though ... while he used plumbing PVC for the feeder run, at least he also used sweeps (and not plumbing ells).

I 'dropped a dime' on the make-believe GC. I've already met one person who was not impressed by his painting and plastering .. I can't wait to see his electrical work!

I gave the CUSStomer a bid that I am certain he will discard - and just as well! Besides the rates going UP (rather than the result he wanted), I also want some hefty deposits. I'll risk my time, but not my money.

T
Sounds like your putting all the time you have hung out at this site to work. Good job and good luck.

Shake n Bake
C
I wish you luck. I have always dreamed about being and EC. I got my license and insurance. Started picking up work weeknights and weekends. I found out I am not good with Home owners. I only did the work for 1.5 years. I am an industrial guy. Why I thought about residential is beyond me.

Anyway about 2 months ago I rethought everything and I started another company not EC but a technical service (Temp work) Not sure how it will go. A little easier starting than an EC. One funny thing is the contractors tell me I am their competitor. I was like huh? oh well

Best of luck.

ken

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"
S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Gee, nothing like my "first week" for excitement! Now, if only some of that excitement transforms into income!

This thread has become your personal blog. You should actually look into setting up a blog. You could have some Google Adsense ads and maybe make a buck or two.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard