ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If you ever get very far out of town you see Romex used for everything.

It's the same this side of the pond. Many DIYers don't seem to know that anything else exists, and you'll see our equivalent of NM used for everything. The "high quality" installs for sheds, greenhouses, and so on may actually have the cable pulled through a length of old garden hose, although quite probably with a taped join in the middle where a couple of odd lengths were dug out the back of the garden to be pressed into electrical service. The slightly lower quality jobs ( crazy ) just have the cabled buried directly -- Sometimes as much as 12 inches below the vegetable patch.....

For proper underground junctions, we have these plastic boxes which can be used to joint our SWA cable:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/PRUBX13.html

Or for junctions which will not need future access, we can use a resin-filled joint, although "code" requires the splices within to be crimped in this case:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SWJK1.html

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
http://www.paigewire.com/Specs/3M3570.htm

This is the solution for you.

They have taken over and are now sitting on the Will Call counter at my favorite distributor.

Tesla
Cat Servant
Tesla, I have used those with great success ... especially in applications, such as replacing pump floats (where for some reason you cannot remove the old cable completely).

If you can make your connection in a red wire nut, it will fit into one of those little packs.

You can forget about ever taking it apart, though ... be sure to test the connections before final sealing.

C
I have had mixed success with the Scotchlok packs.

A few years back I found myself needing to splice UF on 3 occasions within a few of months of each other. The first couple of times the Scotchloks worked great. Set up like concrete. A few months later I tried to use a pack and it wouldn't set up. Tried another and another with the same results. Went across town to a different wholesale house and bought some or theirs. Same results.

I'm guessing that 3M must have let a bad batch out. The funny thing is that I haven't noticed them on the shelves of either supply house since.

Cat Servant
It's also possible that the packs were just ... old. I've had plenty of 'magic potions' go bad, just sitting in the shop.

E
I've had similar situations with 3M's splice kits for telephone cable. Seems that shelf life is not very long for the filling that turns hard. Their gel-type filling has a much longer shelf life. Storage temperature also affects them, even though the chemicals are kept separate.

I just found this out with a brand-new tube of epoxy that I kept in storage for about six months. I suppose that even if the compounds aren't mixed, they do still start to harden on their own at some point.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
S
Yes, there's a certain shelf life for epoxy. Some of them are useless as little as 6 months after manufacture. The manufacture date and shelf life *should* be marked on the package if this is an issue.

Actually, I used to get a lot of great free CA glue and epoxy when the local shipyard restocked their shelves... Usually worked just fine for a good while after that. Thin CA turned into thick CA, and thick CA never cured was the only real difference.

P
For an underground UF splice, make your joints in a plastic switch box and fill it with roofing tar...

L
"handholes" and "Brooks boxes" are used all over in S Florida. I'd rather use them as a pulling point only but have used them as junction boxes before, unless all of the inspectors are wrong, it is a code compliant installation.

W
Originally Posted by PE&Master
For an underground UF splice, make your joints in a plastic switch box and fill it with roofing tar...

While this might work I wouldn't do it. IS UF compatible with the solvents in roofing tar??

They make kits to make this type of splice and they aren't expensive

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard