ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Last time I needed one it was robbed from junk timer guts.

E
Me too. I started saving them, even the old yellow laminated cardboard ones whenever I junked a timer. Since Intermatic is about the only timer brand that we ever see in these parts, they all seem to "fit" somehow.

I am now seeking the plastic guards for water heater thermostats, since those also tend to "disappear". I cringe when I open an access panel and think of Harry Homeowner going in there trying to save a few bucks on his electric bill. These things always seem to be missing and the quarters are much tighter.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
W
Doesn't it seem odd that for all these years that flimsy plastic cover with no fastener is still being used?
You would think something more robust that required a tool to remove would be needed to pass UL approval.

Cat Servant
Got Bacon?

Seriously ... I think the plastic Intermatic uses is the same type, and thickness, as the plastic sheet that you find inside most packs of bacon. Add one pair of scissors, and problem solved!

C
Naturally you would only consider using listed bacon wrappers in an installation like this. Can't be too careful.

T
twh Offline
I've been throwing them away. Maybe I should have been listing them for sale on eBay.

G
The only problem with that idea, beyond a listing problem, is the smell won't go away. Before you could adjust 12 sets of trippers you would have to go get a BLT from the cabana bar.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Glad to see I've given everyone a good smile!

Still ... if you can't find/get the 'real' part, what's one to do? There's also reason to make a "temporary" fix while waiting for the 'right' part to come in.

I'm not sure that the listing / evaluation of the timer requires there be any shield be there at all. I know, it's hard to believe ... but, just like with code compliance, good design usually has no problems passing product standards.

Nor do I think that there are any requirements for that cover at all. I can recall panels that had steel inner faces that were held in place by little more than a prayer.

I believe that, many times, concern over the "listing" is simply a knee-jerk reaction in opposition to doing something yourself. Next thing, we'll be wanting the timer hung with listed screws on a listed stud.

T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by renosteinke
if you can't find/get the 'real' part, what's one to do?

Post a picture and part number and ask if someone can mail one to you. I'll bet you could open a store with the number of free ones you get. These are all really helpful people.

B
Originally Posted by twh
I've been throwing them away. Maybe I should have been listing them for sale on eBay.

What, the deadfronts or the bacon wrappers???

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard