ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 04:27 AM
Does anyone know where to get the little plastic dead front cover for the intermatic timers
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 11:25 AM
If you mean the little ones, that replace a light switch .... count your blessings it still works!

I've used every variety of them - Intermatic has two basic types - and all have gone bad after very brief periods. The current model is still switching automatically, but you cannot operate the switch manually, or change the program.

I'd just buy another one of these $35 gizmos, then hold on to the guts. You're soon to need them!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 01:58 PM
I am talking about the water heater type with the yellow wheel and trippers. That floppy plastic cover over the terminals seems to break or get lost and the terminals are exposed.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 04:43 PM
When the cover is closed the terminals are are no longer exposed. I have no idea where you can locate the finger safe plastic card. It is not a safety issue unless you have no cover. The timer is probably less money than the piece you want. Shipping will be a minimum of $9.00 where we live.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 07:20 PM
I would make one out of some plastic from the office supply company.
Posted By: electure Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 07:27 PM
It is not a safety issue unless you have no cover.

The cover must be opened to adjust the timer, and your finger's not even an inch away from the exposed terminals.
In order to manually operate an Intermatic timer, the fingers must be solidly grounded to the operating handle, and the finger is about 1/4" away from the exposed terminals.

I see a safety issue with that.

(I don't know where you'd get one, either.)

Posted By: WNYJim Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/22/08 08:19 PM
This is from the Intermatic website Q&A -
The product I purchased is missing parts or came with broken parts. What should I do?
Please call (800) 492-2289 for missing or damaged parts.

The timer is Model T103D89

Good Luck
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/23/08 03:57 AM
My wife has over a dozen of these timers at her golf course and at least half of the covers are damaged or missing.
This has been identified as a safety problem in a safety evaluation. Employees are expected to be moving those trippers when the schedules change and all the manufacturer's guards are not in place. This is the kind of thing that makes a workman's comp attorney's nipples get hard. I find it hard to believe these are not sold everywhere although we seem split between "problem" and "no big deal" here. I will try the phone number but that really sounds like a quality control line for new in the box products missing parts, not a replacement parts line.
Posted By: BigB Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/23/08 04:16 AM
Greg, I get them at my supply house. I think they are 4 or 5 dollars. Your supply house that deals with Intermatic should be able to get them. I need them whenever a home inspector tags a pool timer. They only carry the ones with the 240 diagram on them, but that's what most of them are anyway.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/23/08 04:32 AM
My wife's electrician says he can't find them locally but I guess I will call around. I know some guys have their favorite supply house and don't shop. I was surprised I came up empty on the internet. I am guessing I just didn't find the right site.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/23/08 12:50 PM
Last time I needed one it was robbed from junk timer guts.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/23/08 11:10 PM
Me too. I started saving them, even the old yellow laminated cardboard ones whenever I junked a timer. Since Intermatic is about the only timer brand that we ever see in these parts, they all seem to "fit" somehow.

I am now seeking the plastic guards for water heater thermostats, since those also tend to "disappear". I cringe when I open an access panel and think of Harry Homeowner going in there trying to save a few bucks on his electric bill. These things always seem to be missing and the quarters are much tighter.
Posted By: WNYJim Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 01:26 AM
Doesn't it seem odd that for all these years that flimsy plastic cover with no fastener is still being used?
You would think something more robust that required a tool to remove would be needed to pass UL approval.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 02:10 AM
Got Bacon?

Seriously ... I think the plastic Intermatic uses is the same type, and thickness, as the plastic sheet that you find inside most packs of bacon. Add one pair of scissors, and problem solved!
Posted By: ChicoC10 Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 03:44 AM
Naturally you would only consider using listed bacon wrappers in an installation like this. Can't be too careful.
Posted By: twh Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 12:59 PM
I've been throwing them away. Maybe I should have been listing them for sale on eBay.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 02:11 PM
The only problem with that idea, beyond a listing problem, is the smell won't go away. Before you could adjust 12 sets of trippers you would have to go get a BLT from the cabana bar.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 03:55 PM
Glad to see I've given everyone a good smile!

Still ... if you can't find/get the 'real' part, what's one to do? There's also reason to make a "temporary" fix while waiting for the 'right' part to come in.

I'm not sure that the listing / evaluation of the timer requires there be any shield be there at all. I know, it's hard to believe ... but, just like with code compliance, good design usually has no problems passing product standards.

Nor do I think that there are any requirements for that cover at all. I can recall panels that had steel inner faces that were held in place by little more than a prayer.

I believe that, many times, concern over the "listing" is simply a knee-jerk reaction in opposition to doing something yourself. Next thing, we'll be wanting the timer hung with listed screws on a listed stud.
Posted By: twh Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
if you can't find/get the 'real' part, what's one to do?

Post a picture and part number and ask if someone can mail one to you. I'll bet you could open a store with the number of free ones you get. These are all really helpful people.
Posted By: BigB Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by twh
I've been throwing them away. Maybe I should have been listing them for sale on eBay.

What, the deadfronts or the bacon wrappers???
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/24/08 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Glad to see I've given everyone a good smile!

Still ... if you can't find/get the 'real' part, what's one to do?

IMO, replace the timer guts.....
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Intermatic timer dead front covers - 05/25/08 03:50 AM
I guess it used to be easy to tell people you just throw a safety cover away but now in this NFPA70E/OSHA/Lawyer environment the bean counters are insisting that all safety covers be in place. In the case of these timers, the trippers are not going to be adjusted by "qualified" people. It will be a maintenance person, the irrigation/lawn mower guy, a manager or maybe even a security guard. I would really be a lot happier if they actually had a better cover.
This all came up at my wife's place because somebody in the greens keeper staff got "bit" and filed a report.
© ECN Electrical Forums