ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Originally Posted by IanR
Another time you'd use white as a hot is a 240V circuit.
Unless, of course, you want to run 12/3 (unneeded expense)and have an unused white at the load. You would/should have to land the white at the panel though, if you did that. I have seen 6/2 WG that has black and red wires (there is some in my house), but I have never seen it for sale myself. So, I don't know if it is even available anymore.

Good point.
Remember this thread is really about saras and her newbie question.

Most common wiring methods are in the MC and NM families so most jobsite and "what is on the truck" methods will utilize these; and most MC and NM is 10/12/14 gauge. I would hope folks doing conduit runs wouldn't choose to use white for an ungrounded.

Sara, do you understand 3 and 4 ways and how switch legs are done in the (2) basic uses they get?

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
E
Originally Posted by IanR
I have seen 6/2 WG that has black and red wires (there is some in my house), but I have never seen it for sale myself. So, I don't know if it is even available anymore.

Actually, I believe that this design is newer rather than older. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that black and red is required for two-wire "Loomex" (Romex) over #10 in Canada. If that's really the case, it would make sense that cable manufacturers would standardize with one cable design, especially with today's copper prices. Of course, type SE cable has always been black/red and is very common in the US for higher-amperage 240 volt circuits. Besides, who has ever seen a 50 amp 120 volt circuit?

(No need for feedback from folks in New York City where there are 50 amp, 120 volt feeds to apartments in very old buildings. That's different)! cool

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
R
Actually, around here, this is called a "switch loop".
A "switch leg" is usually the wires that leave the switch and go to the load, when the feed is at the switch box

T
Green hots?? I can see someone cheating with a white or blue, and the occassional use where it's justified, but a green? Man, that just takes all!

Years ago, I worked as a facilities Electrician at OSU, We used to find "Hot Greens" all the time, Per "T" the sup, at one time Facilities didn't have a very big budget, and a previous sup had saved alot of money buying a large quantity of green wire at close out prices............

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard