ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
They just busted a bunch of scrappers around here, the state has a waiting period on anything upwards of 50$ worth of scrap, caught a bunch of the yards paying out way more, and "neglecting" to record the transactions, they also found stuff like virgin 10' lengths of copper pipe, full rolls of THHN, bundles of romex (most likely taken from HD) It's getting worse and worse as copper becomes more valuable, and those hurt by the ecenomic slump turn more and more to what they see as an easy source of cash.

Cat Servant
Today I learned of a builder who custom orders his romex ... in PINK. Seems he hopes this will reduce the losses from his sites, by making his wire recognizable.

S
It may just work. I use to work for a contractor who's extension cords were hot pink. I asked him of all color, why pink? He told me since he switched, the cost for lost cords on jobsites went way down. No macho contractor wants to be driving around town with a pink extension cord hanging off of their rig.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Here in Southern California they're on to bigger ventures.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-copper6mar06,0,6496161.story

P
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Today I learned of a builder who custom orders his romex ... in PINK.
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
No macho contractor wants to be driving around town with a pink extension cord hanging off of their rig.

The Sheriff Joe Arpaio effect! wink

U
its getting pretty common for houses that are left empty in my area to get broken into and have all of the wire and plumbing butcherd and removed along with the a/c unit and lines. not only that but they actually steal the aluminum siding also....

R
The newest targets here are now schools and churches with copper spouting and plumbing.

Whole classrooms were flooded when thieves ripped all the copper waterpipes out of a local primary school and caused 1000's of dollars worth of damage.
The school was closed for the day when plumbers replaced everything with PVC.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
R
Here's one I thought I'd share...
The girlfriend is a district manager for the city and she informed me that the city I live in is having problems with someone stealing the underground copper feeders between some of the pole lighting at one of the local stadiums.. Apparently this is the second time this year the thieves have hit the place and cleaned out all the wiring outside of the fence!! They figure they used a truck to pull and tote the wire off because they found tire tracks and chewed up grass all around the outside of the fence and around the poles each time the wiring was stolen.

I wonder whats next on the thieves list?!

A.D

G
Well...now that the light poles aren't lit up it should be a simple matter to salvage them for the Aluminum. After all, who's going to see them being stolen in the dark of night??

Ghost307
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard