ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Redsy Offline OP
I would prefer to bond the XO terminal in the transformer (120/208)housing. Doing so, I would need to float the neutral in the panelboard, but I know that semi-qualified staff will use this panel and they always seem to assume that neutral and ground busses are the equivalent.

Is there a disadvantage to bond the neutral in the panel instead?
The secondary raceway is about 3' of 2" greenfield.

Please discuss any pros & cons (if any).

Thanks

John (Redsy)

W
John,
It would seem to me, if somehow, these semi- qualified individuals were to somehow add a second panel. Either add double lugs at the transformer or a feed through from your setup, they would be relying completely on that bond in the original panel to create the neutral. It is in my opinion the most practical, and safest method to bond your XO at the transformer. Suppose you do you bond at the first panel, and one of these qualified people remove the bonding jumper, because it should be bonded at the transformer. you may be opening up a can of worms.

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks Nuts!
I know the facility and their people. They would not add a subpanel, but they will add branch circuits. And they will indiscriminately tie ground and neutral to either buss. I see it everywhere.

I know that the bonding can be done at either location as far as NEC goes, but other than my concern about the staff, I'm wondering what others prefer, and why.

Thanks,

John

I much prefer bonding XO in the transformer.

Could you possibly label the busses in respect to their usages? That might get the ball rolling for their education, too.

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks guys.

Is there any(technical,or functional)reason you prefer bonding in the Xfmr?

Other than the cost to run additional ground wire to the panel,(which in this case is only about 6' of wire) is there any reason to choose bonding in the panel?

Just trying to get different opinions.

S
It's generally best to ground the neutral as close to the source as possible, as this provides the most efficient path to ground. This will also keep voltage drop between the grounding point and X0 terminal as low as possible, which will keep the 3 phases better centered around ground. In practice, it's only going to make a few volts worth of difference, especially if you're only talking about 6', but it's still more efficient to bond at the transformer.

I would recommend bonding at the transfomer.

S
Just of curiousity, why woundn't you bond at the tranny?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
R
Redsy Offline OP
sparkyinak,

The particulat inspector on this job implied that it should be bonded at both places, which I believe to be a misunderstanding of the NEC.

I was thinking about bonding in the panel because he would be more likely to look there, as opposed in the transformer housing. (I know this approach may seem questionable, but I was just putting out feelers)

Last edited by Redsy; 04/28/08 09:51 PM.
T
twh Offline
Bonding in two places is evil. It puts the neutral wire in parallel with the ground wire.

S
A double bond is double trouble. I'm carious the inspector woud implied that.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard