ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 88 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170944 11/15/07 06:06 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Can Anyone identify this?

submitted by:
Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC

[Linked Image]

P
If I'm not mistaken, that is called a "rate of rise" used in fire alarms. Senses when the air temp rises too fast and trips the alarm. Or burns a element on the inside and trips. I've seen them but never actually taken them apart to see what makes em tick.
Jerry

AFAIK, they were used a lot in commercial installations in the late 50's and early 60's.

H
I have seen them and I have installed them They are "Rate Of Rise" heat detectors. They could also be "Fixed Temp" heat detectors. You would use a fixed temp in the attic, because a Rate of rise, might go off on a hot summer day. They replaced another type of fire detectors. ( I wish I had pictures of them.) The older types of fire alarms relied on copper piping filled with air. The "Heat Sensor" was a bigger copper tube connected to the smaller piping. This whole piping system was pressurized. If there was a fire, the pressure would build up in the pipes and set off the fire alarm system. They were very difficult to trouble shoot if you got a leak. You would have to walk around the whole building with soapy bubble water. You would spray the bubble water onto the copper pipes and look for leaks.

L
AFAIK-- Excuse my ignorance. But what the heck does this mean? I see it every where and feel 'so outa the loop'.

"Rate of rise"- heat detectors need to see a certain rise in temp with in a few seconds. Say 20 deg in 20 sec.
"Fixed temp"- heats need to reach the desired temp before activating.
And the new ones- 1980 and beyond= are combo if so desired.

HID- (wording escapes me now- sorry)-"The older types of fire alarms relied on copper piping filled with air. The "Heat Sensor" was a bigger copper tube connected to the smaller piping. This whole piping system was pressurized. If there was a fire, the pressure would build up in the pipes and set off the fire alarm system. They were very difficult to trouble shoot if you got a leak. You would have to walk around the whole building with soapy bubble water. You would spray the bubble water onto the copper pipes and look for leaks."

Harold, your correct. these are very good. But. only filled with Ambient air. when heated the air pressure rises closing the ckt. Or pessurizing the solonoid.

Still VERY common in special hazard fire Suppression applications. Where no electrical current would be acceptable..
Flamable storage etc.

Originally Posted by leland
AFAIK-- Excuse my ignorance. But what the heck does this mean? I see it every where and feel 'so outa the loop'.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. Don't feel badly. I'm still scratching my head over IIRC. grin

N
If I Remember Correctly...

Originally Posted by n1ist
If I Remember Correctly...

You know, I thought of that, after I posted. That's the story of my life, great ideas that come too late. Thanks for your confirmation. smile

How's Malden, by the way? I lived there, at that big complex on the Hill, Kennedy Drive, back in 1999.

Last edited by Retired_Helper; 03/19/08 03:26 PM. Reason: had to mention Malden
J
jes Offline
The device is known as a 'Fyrindex' thermostat and was made in both fixed temperature and rate-of-rise versions. At some point in the life of the product is was made by the Kidde Corporation. They are no longer produced.

W
Those were common in college dorms, back in the mid 1970s. In the halls and sometimes in each room. Some also had scorch marks from idiot prankster students holding cigarette lighters near them, seeing if they could be set off...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard