ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 135 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
jlive11 #174169 01/28/08 12:21 PM
N
Another successful cat scan...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

jlive11 #174338 02/02/08 02:10 AM
H
See, a cat is man's best friend.....

Unlike a dog, it buries it's poop.

It doesn't typically attack the mailman or howl.

It's great fun when paired with a laser pointer.

It reduces the bird population and thus the number of droppings on your car.

It rids your house of mice and rats that cause arc faults in attics.

In addition to that, your cat may be able sniff out electrical fires in the wall caused by MORONS attempting to wire a house as seen in the above post. laugh

Nice cat!

renosteinke #174344 02/02/08 09:21 AM
L
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Now .... for the BIG question .... would Arc-fault current interrupting breakers have prevented this?

Maybe. This is, naturally, exactly the sore of thing for which they are advocated. Yet ....

Advancing technology is no excuse for madly improper methods. Under earlier (pre-AFCI) rules, this fire would not have happened had:
- The installer been qualified; and,
- Had the cable been properly supported and protected.

Sort of like the driver who feels comfortable driving faster in snow 'because I've got 4 wheel drive,'... I fear that one result of this 'safer' wiring technology will be the casual reliance on that technology to compensate for taking additional chances.

Exactly my opposition to the change!!

HARDWADEGUY: Back off the dogs! They have a usefull purpose, For example....ummmm...wait I'm thinking. smile

leland #174400 02/04/08 06:57 AM
T
Most important: cats don't bark your ears off out of pure joy! One workmate of mine occasionally brought his dog to the office and when she'd bark suddenly she gave half of the people near heart attacks. She's a real nice dog, but barking in a quiet office... we just couldn't get over that. Wearing shorts and suddenly experiencing a wet, cool nose on your knees under your desk can be fairly startling too...

Texas_Ranger #174405 02/04/08 09:45 AM
Cat Servant
I like hardwareguy's approach ...

IMO, preventing a fault from happening if far preferable to taking action once it happens.

Therefore, let's drop the AFCI requirement .... and replace it with a cat requirement!

jlive11 #174967 02/18/08 05:11 PM
D
We just had a similar incident. We got called for "fire coming out of a box".

We showed up and found a light haze and definite smell of a fire. Didn't see any fire in any of the vents, so we went downstairs, and found the 1st floor burning near a bx run that was hidden behind a vent pipe. Luckily the resident was home and we caught it before it caught everything.

After it was out, we looked at the room. Seems they removed the wall that used to define the closet in an attempt to lengthen the room, as evidenced by the missing flooring that had been concealed by the carpeting. Well, what do we normally put into walls longer than 24"?

Yep... turns out when they dropped the wall, they just cut 7 taped the wires and stuffed the BX down in to the gap left by the sole plate. It was fine for many years until wear and tear caught up with it.

The sad thing? the BX originated from an octagon box about 18" away from the floor penetration... and it was the only branch off that circuit. They could have d/c'd it at the box with almost no effort, and no interruption of anything else.

Last edited by DougW; 02/18/08 05:11 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard