ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
wire_twister #174074 01/25/08 11:02 PM
L
Balloon framing is where the wall studs run from the sill plate(foundation) to the roof. Instead of building a outside wall to outside wall platform at each level, the floors are "hung" off of the wall studs.

This is very convient when running wires up the walls because there are none of those pesky "fire breaks" that you have to drill thru. On the other hand, if a fire starts in the wall, it has an easy path to get up to the top stories.

Larry C

Home owner and NOT a construction trades worker.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

LarryC #174076 01/25/08 11:33 PM
Rewired? That's rewired?! I hate to see this house's service.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Theelectrikid #174078 01/25/08 11:53 PM
J
jlive11 Offline OP
the service at the panel is actually somewhat neat and appears to be proper...it's where the wiring dissappears into the walls that is the concern...after the fire last night i have investigated several areas in the house and found nothing but bunk workmanship...for example in the laundry room the light fixure is screwed to the ceiling with no electrical box whatsoever (1" x 1" hole cut in drywall to allow wiring to light) this is alot worse than expected....i'm now almost certain there was no permit pulled for any of this work...i need to be carefull tho.....I need a place to live until i can find something better.... maybe i should have let the place burn to the ground when I had the chance.....

jlive11 #174088 01/26/08 11:03 AM
L
"the house was only re-wired 6 months ago....scary stuff"

In the interest of you and your neighbors, whoever "re-wired" this.
His name should be dropped to the authorities. Put it on his insurance not yours!

BTW, Welcome, and glad all is ok.

wire_twister #174103 01/26/08 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by wire_twister
A little off topic here, but what is baloon framing Ian? I have never heard of it.

Balloon framing predates the platform-type framing that most of us are familiar with. Studs go from foundation to roof. Intervening floor joists are hung off a ledger that is let into the studs. Nowadays, we make a plywood platform on floor joists and then frame up from that for each storey.

Did anyone see the 'Holmes on Homes' episode where the house was balloon-framed? Mike Holmes admitted he had never seen that sort of thing before. smile

Sorry, LarryC, I didn't see your post. Oh, well... blush

This isn't the first time I got punked by a page change. crazy

Last edited by Retired_Helper; 01/26/08 08:01 PM. Reason: Just had to mention...
Retired_Helper #174117 01/26/08 11:45 PM
I'm sure the insurance company will peg the "sparky" for that one... Just send them the pictures, and his contact info. Of course, there is the possibility that they drop you until everything is re-wired (properly) AGAIN.

wire_twister #174125 01/27/08 10:55 AM
Balloon Framing was a technique that gained popularity around Chicago as lumber sizes became standardized.
the studs ran all the way to the top of the building and notches were then cut into them to accept a 1X4 which would be the support for the floor joists which were also notched to fit over the 1X and then also nailed to the stud

I you can picture that, it also made a very nice plenum from the basement to the roof ! fire would eventually burn the whole city down in a very short time. you may have read about it.

the solution was to install "fire stops" which was nothing more than blocking between the studs, at right around 48" , cry
which always made remodeling EVERYTHING residential in and around Chicago an exercise in ingenuity, alternating with frustration and rage, because a lot of bathrooms and kitchens also had tile to ran up to 50" try not breaking that stuff as you cut through tile, plaster, wire lath, and the damn firestop

Tom
jlive11 #174127 01/27/08 11:12 AM
D
It's obvious whats wrong with that pic,the plate on rec is not flush to the wall!!How dare them mess up such a professional installation!

jlive11 #174165 01/28/08 08:18 AM
T
Balloon framing is a type of framing with vertical members running all the way from the basement up to the attic without any horizontal framing members - perfect for spreading a fire. I'm not absolutely sure this is ballon framed though - looks like the floor/ceiling extends into the wall

Texas_Ranger #174167 01/28/08 11:06 AM
Cat Servant
Now .... for the BIG question .... would Arc-fault current interrupting breakers have prevented this?

Maybe. This is, naturally, exactly the sore of thing for which they are advocated. Yet ....

Advancing technology is no excuse for madly improper methods. Under earlier (pre-AFCI) rules, this fire would not have happened had:
- The installer been qualified; and,
- Had the cable been properly supported and protected.

Sort of like the driver who feels comfortable driving faster in snow 'because I've got 4 wheel drive,'... I fear that one result of this 'safer' wiring technology will be the casual reliance on that technology to compensate for taking additional chances.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard