ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174170 01/28/08 12:41 PM
J
jay8 Offline OP
Anyone out there know of a product that can give me additional CATV lines without the cabling? Existing facility that will be a headache for retrofit. thanks.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

jay8 #174178 01/28/08 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by jay8
Anyone out there know of a product that can give me additional CATV lines without the cabling? Existing facility that will be a headache for retrofit. thanks.

Nope.....

dougwells #174180 01/28/08 03:45 PM
I say, nope.

My dad (the cable man) says: Nope, and get the drill and start pulling wire!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
C
To deliver an entire cable system, no. One channel at a time, yes. Meaning there would be a tuner of some sort where there is cable, and the selected channel would be wirelessly transmitted to the receiving set, and IR commands sent to the tuner device.

S
As Classicsat said here is one option, x10 has a wireless sender for one channel or input at a time.
see :
http://www.x10.com/promotions/wireless_video_sender_vk82a.html

J
jay8 Offline OP
This X-10 things looks promising, but what about looking at it from another angle, is there such a thing as CATV over IP? Personally I dont even have cable at home, this is for an extended care facility, if I can save them a few bucks it can go into more critical repairs.

jay8 #174239 01/30/08 12:28 AM
W
Yes and no, You can stream a channel over a network, wired or wireless using a tuner card and a media center at the TV. several people sell media centers. The local phone co. (AT&T) delivers cable thru the phone lines here. comes in on a phone pair and each set has a box like a cable box that selects the channel. The signal is sent to the neighborhood by way of fiber and the last 4000 by twisted pair. Picture looks good but there are limitations. BTW those still receiving TV by way of an antenna, get yourself a digital TV or a converter box. most stations are broadcasting several digital signals (more than one) and the picture will knock your socks off! Robert

B
There is something called an "amplitude modulated link" or AML which is used by cable companies to distribute cable TV signals to remote locations. But I don't think this is applicable to what you are looking for.

brianl703 #174289 01/31/08 01:10 PM
S
The bandwidth of CATV is so high that it's wildly impractical to transfer it over air with any sort of consumer level radio transmitter- best you can really do are solutions that pick one channel and transmit it.

I have a really cool device called SlingBox on my TV- it hooks up to your cable box/DVR (or uses its own internal analog tuner) and puts it on the internet. You can go anywhere in the world, pop open your laptop, and watch what's on your TV at home. It's compatible with wifi, and allows remote control of the cable box/dvr/tv through a virtual remote control and IR modulator. (When my [spoiled rotten] kids are crying that their show's over and they want me to put on another show from the DVR, I can be a lazy-ass and sit at my computer, pull up Slingbox and remotely control my DVR to put their show on.)

So, in short, this would still not let you wirelessly stream CATV to a new location. But if you had a computer in that location, you could watch TV on it through your home's wifi network.

jay8 #174293 01/31/08 04:31 PM
L

What exactly are you trying to do? Bring cable TV to where it isn't, or add additional channels to an existing cable installation?

Is this system going to use existing TV's, or will it be digital only? Does each location have to be individually addressable? Does each location need to be able to watch different channels?

Questions, questions, questions. smile

Larry C

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard