ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Originally Posted by Rewired
This especially in some of the newer schools as they most likely have 347V lighting circuits.

I know that 347V is a Canadian thing, but do you also have 277V lighting fixtures up there or just go straight from 120 to 347?

Over here everything is 240V to ground, which can pack enough of a punch. (They're not something I ever have to work on, but there are also triple fluoro fittings which are run from 3-phase, thus putting 415V in the fixture.)

HSE (Health & Safety Executive -- our equivalent of OSHA) has become very critical about any sort of live work in recent years.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Actually IMHO, what kills and injures professional electricians is complacency.
The old idea that you've done all this before, can get you in real trouble.
I happened to be reading the latest release of Electrical accidents published by our electrical safety authority here and the stats don't make for good reading from an actual safety point of view, 85% of all electrical accidents in the trade were caused by "Failure to isolate live equipment" and "Failure to test for presence of voltage after isolation"
3 electricians lost their lives in a 6 month period because of these basic things.
Sure I have worked live before, but I only do it when there is no other alternative and that would be a pretty rare occurence, there is no need to work live if you don't have to, it doesn't make you a "cut above" any other electrician, that doesn't.
It's all about coming home from work with the same things you went to work with.

R
Pauluk:
277 volt fixtures here are rare but they do exist... Often its a case where a building contains a lot of machinery designed for use in the U.S.A and a 277Y / 480V supply is used. (The PoCo will NOT supply this , you must step 600V down to 277Y / 480 yourself). There are only two buildings I know of in the area that use this system as well and I will make mention there is one other building in this city that has a "240Y 416V" system in it.. VERY rare in Canada and why it was done I do not know but the 240V electric heating we installed was connected to this system and was all connected line-neutral which is a bit bizarre for us Canucks, as 240V is usually a line-line voltage!
This brings be back to some of the different lighting voltages we have here for lighting .. We do have some H.I.D stuff in parking lots that is sometimes "208V" or "240V" and it works fine and is safe because these voltages originate from supplies that are 120V to ground. The catch with that is with standard autotransformer type H.I.D ballasts whereby one side of the line is connected to the appropriate ballast "tap" and the other is connected to the ballast "Common" lead which is also connected to the metal screw-shell of the lamp... See the problem here? Should someone decide to change a lamp in a live fixture wired 208V or 240V and they happen to touch the screw-shell of the lamp and ground while doing so, blammo they get a 120V shock.
We also have 600V lighting as well but again this is rare and generally its found in the steel mills where the system originates from a 600V ungrounded delta supply
(according to my Father), and the ballasts for these are "isolation" type, so no real chance of touching the screwshell of a bulb and getting a 347V blast..

My highschool was another oddity that had 600V fluorescent lighting in 1/2 the building, only because the half that contained this lighting also contained all the machine / welding, wood, electrical,and auto shops as well as the boilers and all its related equipment,all of which was 600V, and in 1963 when the place was built I don't think 347V lighting even existed let alone a 347Y/600V service being availible from the PoCo, although it may have originated from a grounded Y secondary, no neutral was present as far as I can remember.

A.D

I
Originally Posted by Rewired
Pauluk:
277 volt fixtures here are rare but they do exist... Often its a case where a building contains a lot of machinery designed for use in the U.S.A and a 277Y / 480V supply is used.

In my area (New England), for other than dwelling units 277 lighting is far and away the most common voltage for lighting circuits.

If it's a commercial building (unless it is small) the service will be 480Y/277.

Outdoor lighting is often run line to line at 480 volt.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
It seems like I hear too many people getting either electrocuted or knocked off their ladder by lights.... all because someone didn't hit the disconnect or the "manager" of the place didn't want the lights out.

I got a better idea.... use a system similar to the old tube radios: an interlock plug or switch. If you remove the lamp cover, the ballast terminals become de energized and the always on terminals are insulated well. This way bulbs, sockets and even the ballast itself could be safely changed without being exposed to live conductors. The switch would likely not need servicing for the life of the fixture, so it would be rarely messed with.

The other way would be an intermittent duty manually actuated switch (its not used all the time so it can be kinda cheap.) or a plug that you pull that contains a jumper. The input to the jumper block or switch is recessed so it wont easily be touched and the output terminals are accessible only once the jumper block has been removed or in the case of the switch, a cover moves out of the way of the terminals once it is slid to the open position.

R
Ya thats kind of what we are using now, a "plug" type of device that resembles those "weatherpack" type of connectors you see on almost every north american automobile .. The nice thing about this setup is it disconnects hot AND neutral to the ballast. You are now safe from the hot conductor AND from having to mess with a neutral that may be part of a multi- wire circuit feeding other lights in the row, or from getting a belt off the neutral should there be something amiss elsewhere in the building's wiring.

A.D

I
In the UK under the Electricity at Work Regulations and Health and Safety at Work Act NO live working is allowed unless it has been deemed impracticable then method statements and risk assessment for safe working comes into play. If he had been in this country and he had survived he would have found himself being investigated by the Health & Safety Executive and then found himself being procecuted for breach of the above regs/act.

P
Originally Posted by iansettle
In the UK under the Electricity at Work Regulations and Health and Safety at Work Act NO live working is allowed unless it has been deemed impracticable then method statements and risk assessment for safe working comes into play.

And that is one of the typically vague sort of requirements that keeps lawyers in business. Who decides what should be deemed impractical?

I'm all for working as safely as possible, but to be honest the U.K. is getting absolutely carried away with this risk assessment stuff. Most of the bureaucrats sitting in their ivory towers making these rules also have absolutely no practical experience themselves.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard