ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172956 12/30/07 10:05 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
What do you use to terminate your CAT5 and CAT6 jacks?
I usually just use a 410 punch down tool and place the jack on a block of wood.
Is there something better to save the hands and thigh from impacts?

Have you ever tried the Harris/Fluke Jack Rapid tool?
I have one for Leviton Cat5 jacks, but since I don’t really use Leviton anymore, I hardly get a chance to use it.
Is Fluke now making Jack Rapid heads for other brands of CAT5 and CAT6 jacks?

TKX

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

KJay #172962 12/30/07 11:30 PM
W
As an electrican doing alot of work for the IT department I switched to the panduit brand of data jack... no tool for punching down is required. Alot easier I find.

E
Most jack brands come with caps for the terminations that work with simple fingertip pressure to seat the wire pairs. You then simply snip off the ends of the individual wires. Punch down tools (I've never heard of a 410 tool) are not necessary if the device comes with caps.

Honestly, I've seen the use of punch-down tools actually harm some jack modules since not all 110-type units are designed to tolerate the impact.

I have not heard of the Jack Rapid tool head being compatible with any brand of jack module except Leviton. I can tell you that there are plenty of manufacturers that make their modules in an identical footprint, in fact I believe that Leviton actually copied another manufacturer's design when their patent rights ran out. Then again, since I advocate not using tools to install IDC devices, my advice might be a bit skewed.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by EV607797

Honestly, I've seen the use of punch-down tools actually harm some jack modules since not all 110-type units are designed to tolerate the impact.

You need a newer impact tool - one that has a "low" setting... The little caps method will only cause call backs over time IMO - if they can call you...... They are meant as strain reliefs.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
e57 #172992 12/31/07 10:37 AM
J
I have used the steel toe of my boot.

I am trying to find out who makes the puck sized plastic disk that I got in a structured wiring class. It fits in the palm of your hand and the keystone clips in. I think it was the Leviton class, but I do not see it on their website.

Here is one I did find

http://cableorganizer.com/EZ-grip-ruck/

Last edited by Jim M; 12/31/07 10:46 AM. Reason: added link
K
KJay Offline OP
Jim,
I think you are right about that disk. I believe it was part of a Leviton terminating kit from around 2001. I remember it had a punch down tool, that black disk and jacket stripper with a handful CAT5 jacks in a zippered black case. I haven’t seen one in years and don’t know if they even sell that disk separately. The one in your link looks like it could be a close match.

KJay #173054 01/01/08 12:22 PM
P
I use one of these for the Krone terminals on our jacks -- Terminates and trims the wire to length in one operation:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/GPT107.JPG

H
The ONLY keystone jacks I use are Leviton simply because I can use the Fluke Jack Rapid tool. I've had 110 blades damage both the jacks and patch panels. With some patch panels it's necessary to just push the wire in with the blade and rock the tool back and forth to cut the wire. If you use impact the crummy plastic gets broken.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll only do small jobs. This kind of work is getting less and less installer friendly to make it worthwhile. Another example of something designed by people who never have to do it. To me it's just one big PITA.

And Pauluk, that's a KRONE blade for a KRONE block, not a 110 blade. Use that and you are certain to damage a 110 block. I also agree that those caps on the jacks are dust/retainer caps and not to be used for terminations.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 01/01/08 02:44 PM.
E
Originally Posted by hbiss
I also agree that those caps on the jacks are dust/retainer caps and not to be used for terminations.

-Hal

Interesting. ICC, ATT/Lucent/Avaya, Ortronics, Suttle and even Leviton provide instructions right on the packaging showing the use of the caps to terminate the wires. The only mention I've ever seen of them being used for retention/dust protection (?) has been as an optional item that is sold for use on patch panels. In my 25+ years playing with these things, I've never used a punch tool on a single jack, not even a non-impact or one on a low setting.

wink

Last edited by EV607797; 01/01/08 09:01 PM.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
K
KJay Offline OP
pauluk,
I'm not sure if I’ve seen the Krone connection blocks before. Are they primarily a European device?
How do those differ from the 110 punch down blocks and jacks?

TKX

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard