ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171496 11/29/07 01:05 PM
disco within sight refers to commercial installs if memory serves.
i want to put a residential disco around the corner of the house, which clearly it wont be anywhere near "in sight"
it will be a cleaner install with less pipe on the outside(retro/remodel) of the house and more in the dirt.
sound complient?
thanks,
H2O

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

watersparkfalls #171498 11/29/07 01:49 PM
G
Commercial spas and hot tubs require an emergency stop. That is separate and different than the disconnect within site of motors which is required in residential too

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #171586 12/01/07 11:51 AM
D
The few residential hot tubs I have wired I used a spa disconnect which has the GFCI breaker inside it. I installed it futher than 5ft but within site of the tub. After looking at 680.41 I am a bit confused. It says this requirement shall not apply to single family dwellings???? Does this mean the GFCI breaker could go in the main panel and pipe right out to the tub? Maybe a emergency switch for Spa's and Hot Tubs is somthing different???

drum #171591 12/01/07 01:19 PM
G
The emergency stop is for the user or rescuer. The disconnect is for service personel. Different things.
The disconnect removes all power, the emergency stop only needs to stop the motors. It is possible to make this one switch but that is not usually how commercial systems work. If nothing else, the emergency stop usually leaves the light on. I have seen some old systems that only turned off the jet pump (the low speed circulation pump and heat kept running) but that is not really legal.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #171609 12/01/07 09:31 PM
G
The code reference for the Maintenance Disconnect is 680.12 and this Disconnect must be within sight (you can see it and it's not more than 50 feet away) and it needs to disconnect everything except the lighting. It is not required to be located more than 5 feet from the tub if it is located under the skirt of the tub and not accessible from the persons in the tub. This was hotly discussed at an IAEI seminar in Michigan with Mike Johnston making the statement about the use of the disconnect under the skirt of the tub as being code compliant.

George Little
George Little #171612 12/01/07 10:37 PM
D
Thanks for pointing out 680.12 George
I appriciate everyones help

George Little #171619 12/02/07 03:03 AM
F
Originally Posted by George Little
The code reference for the Maintenance Disconnect is 680.12 and this Disconnect must be within sight (you can see it and it's not more than 50 feet away) and it needs to disconnect everything except the lighting. It is not required to be located more than 5 feet from the tub if it is located under the skirt of the tub and not accessible from the persons in the tub. This was hotly discussed at an IAEI seminar in Michigan with Mike Johnston making the statement about the use of the disconnect under the skirt of the tub as being code compliant.

I am suprised with that what Mike Johnston did say that IMO i dont like the idea have the disconnect under the skirting becase some of the skirting have screw in panel and need screw driver to take it off.

i rather have it exteral location so i can turn it off before i can open the tub panel.

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard