ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 394 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Read Part V (five) of Article 230.
You have a single meter. The meter is not a Service Disconnect. The 3 wire coming out of it and going around the house is a Service Conductor. The 4 wire from the disconnect outside to the garage is a Feeder. The disconnect outside is a Service Disconnect. The Main breaker inside the house is also a Service Disconnect.
They are twenty feet apart. That is not grouped.
The AHJ may permit it, or not. (see my comments above)
Also see the other comments about using three wire.
You may consider, two disconnects outside. Main Lug Only in the house. Three wire to the garage and rebond unless you have other grounded connections between the garage and house, i.e. water, telephone, etc.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I have seen the firemen work. They usually just pop the meter out. The old guys can do it with a couple quick flips of their fire axe. The ring may take a beating but who ever said firemen don't leave a mess?

I really don't think you need a disconnect until you enter a building, That is why I say the garage disconnect on the house is confusing and redundant.

Greg Fretwell
G
Greg- 230.40 Exception No. 3 allows you to do just what you say - "allow a disconnect at each building when the conductors enter the building" The State of Michigan have written that out in the Michigan Electrical Code. Seems the consensus is that the property owner should not have to deal with unfused conductors any more than necessary after the Service Point. We require grouping of Service Disconnects when a single Service supplies two buildings.

George Little
G
The state went that way. They use a lot of "maypoles". The utility sets a transformer on a pole in the middle of a property with a CT can for metering and they send out service laterals or overhead drops to several buildings from there. They did it for park buildings and residences in corrections personel housing complexes that got DOC provided power. We had that a lot for campsite services too. That let the utility do the heavy lifting of spanning wide areas at medium voltage so we could keep the feeders to the sites fairly short.

Greg Fretwell
T
Originally Posted by George Little
Greg- 230.40 Exception No. 3 allows you to do just what you say - "allow a disconnect at each building when the conductors enter the building" The State of Michigan have written that out in the Michigan Electrical Code. Seems the consensus is that the property owner should not have to deal with unfused conductors any more than necessary after the Service Point. We require grouping of Service Disconnects when a single Service supplies two buildings.

Does this mean I need extra disconnect?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Trick440; 11/23/07 09:50 PM.

Shake n Bake
L
"....He refrenced 230.2, saying it is confussing if they need to interrupt the service. We offered to have a plaque made identifying, denoting the feeders supplying each building."

Trick440s' inspectors comment.
230.2 does nothing for discos.He only has 1 service.
Now we're up to 230.40!? What gives? Even with State amendments, what gives?
Ask for the explanation (nicely).
I personaly would have gone with the meter disco or 2 discos. But thats not the issue.

I still think your OK (technically). But then again, I don't have to deal with this AHJ.

"We require grouping of Service Disconnects when a single Service supplies two buildings." Thats all well and good, Now it appears to be settled.
But the article# is still wrong. No?

"

Last edited by leland; 11/23/07 10:16 PM. Reason: Acknowledge Georges comment
G
Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and a separate structure shall be permitted to have one set of service-entrance conductors run to each from a single service drop or lateral.

This means you could bring the drop to the house, hit the meter can then split into two service entrance sets, one going into the house and one going to the garage without a disco until you entered each building.
I should have cited this back up there when I first brought it up.
Assuming his AHJ has not amended it, Trick could just move that disco to the garage and feed it with 3 wire.

Greg Fretwell
L
Either way I think his concern is with the cost/labor involved, to comply/appease.

Some times your the dog.. Sometimes your the hydrant...

Keep the peace or buck the system... the age old question..
I would (personaly) ask for a better description of the "violation". It may be a state amendment.Reach a resolution.Most inspectors are not animals.

S
The best I can tell based on the first post, the JHA quoted 230.2 for his/her ruling. Although there are two buildings, only one service is feeding both of them. Therefore in order to disconnect the power of the service, when multiple disconnects are connected to one service, they must be grouped together per NEC. Local code and site conditions define the word "grouped" and location(s) of the disconnects.

Another way to look at it is from a fire departments perspective. They arrive on the scene and the house is on fire. To locate the power, they are taught to look for the meter. They locate the meter and see it on the garage. They go inside and locate the main for the garage and shut it off assuming the power is off to the house. They are not going to read the panel legends or look for placards to go on a hunt for a second disconnect. They are focused of the fire and getting anyone inside out ASAP.

Meter pulling is only a last resort. Doing it wrong can kill the person popping the meter. If the disconnects are grouped together, they arrive and shut them all off. Whip, bam, boom, move on to the fire.
PHP Code

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard