ECN Forum
Posted By: Trick440 Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/21/07 02:27 PM
I have an overhead service install. We have a double lug, 320 meter can.

I came out of the meter to a disconnect, then ran 4 conductor to a detached garage panel. - no problems here.

Heres the problem - I came out of the meter again with only 3 conductors. I ran this wire outside the building 20 feet, then came into the building and immediately into the back of the panel.

The inspector says I need a disconnect at the meter for that panel? I have always heard I could theroretically run the SE cable around the building twice without a disconnect, as long I immediately enter the panel.

He refrenced 230.2, saying it is confussing if they need to interrupt the service. We offered to have a plaque made identifying, denoting the feeders supplying each building.

Opinions please.
Posted By: leland Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/21/07 03:33 PM
2 meters I assume?

I don't see a problem under 230.2.
SERV entrance for the garage has a disconnect and so doesn't the house.
only ? may be in 230.72. But then again it is 1 service.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/21/07 04:19 PM
230.72 Grouping of disconnects.
AHJ may permit it IF it is clearly labeled.
Service Disconnect 1 of 2 Garage ONLY, Disconnect 2 of 2 House ONLY located inside at X place .
It is worth a try.

Posted By: Trick440 Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/21/07 09:48 PM
To clarify its only 1 meter. The meter can is a 320, with double lugs.
Posted By: leland Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/22/07 12:13 AM
I see no problem.
I may be missing something. Ask the AHJ to expand on this.
230.2 does'nt cover service disconnects anyway.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/22/07 12:29 AM
Where I am familiar with the panel would need to set next to the disconnect or 2 disconnects would need to be set to comply with Services shall be grouped.
Posted By: john p Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/23/07 01:23 PM
I believe if you place a disconnect on the house outside you would need both grouped together to eliminate confussion.
Around here I would simply come out of the meter with two 3 wire services. one for the house and one for the garage.
Posted By: Trick440 Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/23/07 04:22 PM
So what I'm seeing here is we think the inspector is correct? Under 230.72.

Hrm... I'm not seeing it as a grouping of disconnects. I really don't see anything in 230.72 that would make this install not in compliance with code.

Besides the disconnect for the garage panel. This is the exact same way a service is ran in 95% of homes. Your telling me, because I add a disconnect.... now I have to add another disconnect because... ? Theres an ID problem? (I can understand clearly ID'ing the garage disconnect, that's code.. ) I could take my 11 yr old son there and he could see that the meter is supplying the building its mounted on. When you want to disconnect the house, I would say disconnect it the exact same way you disconnect the 95% of all other homes the meter or inside panel.

Seems strange to me, If anyone could post the exact article number this violates I would really appreciate it.

I'm wrong all the time. I just like to know how I'm wrong. I use these 320 double lug cans fairly often, I have never ran across this problem and I need to know. The extra cost on this is atleast $200 + addition labor for seperating nuetrals & grounds. I can't waste time and money for something that isn't needed, I may do this same install 300 more times in my life.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/23/07 05:04 PM
I would question why you needed the disconnect for the garage at the house and the 4 wire feeder to the garage in the first place. Why not just have the disconnect at the garage fed with 3 wire USE and SE running top the disconnect in the house?
That looks like the "Maypole" setup we see a lot around here. If the meter was on a post there wouldn't be a question IMHO.I don't see hanging on the house changing that much if the SEC to the garage left immediately.
I do agree that in an emergency situation a fireman might assume that was the house disconnect. They don't usually stop and read signs if they think they know what they are doing. That is all the time
Posted By: leland Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/23/07 07:26 PM
"I do agree that in an emergency situation a fireman might assume .."

If that was the reason, Would'nt they require a meter disconnect to shut off all loads, As you see In some rural locations.

I see no violation.Again ask for the explanation,and if it is a local code.In Ma. we have ammendments, But they are state wide not Town or County.
On the next one, run the 3 wire to each panel and call it a day.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/23/07 08:02 PM
Read Part V (five) of Article 230.
You have a single meter. The meter is not a Service Disconnect. The 3 wire coming out of it and going around the house is a Service Conductor. The 4 wire from the disconnect outside to the garage is a Feeder. The disconnect outside is a Service Disconnect. The Main breaker inside the house is also a Service Disconnect.
They are twenty feet apart. That is not grouped.
The AHJ may permit it, or not. (see my comments above)
Also see the other comments about using three wire.
You may consider, two disconnects outside. Main Lug Only in the house. Three wire to the garage and rebond unless you have other grounded connections between the garage and house, i.e. water, telephone, etc.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/23/07 08:58 PM
I have seen the firemen work. They usually just pop the meter out. The old guys can do it with a couple quick flips of their fire axe. The ring may take a beating but who ever said firemen don't leave a mess?

I really don't think you need a disconnect until you enter a building, That is why I say the garage disconnect on the house is confusing and redundant.
Greg- 230.40 Exception No. 3 allows you to do just what you say - "allow a disconnect at each building when the conductors enter the building" The State of Michigan have written that out in the Michigan Electrical Code. Seems the consensus is that the property owner should not have to deal with unfused conductors any more than necessary after the Service Point. We require grouping of Service Disconnects when a single Service supplies two buildings.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/24/07 01:35 AM
The state went that way. They use a lot of "maypoles". The utility sets a transformer on a pole in the middle of a property with a CT can for metering and they send out service laterals or overhead drops to several buildings from there. They did it for park buildings and residences in corrections personel housing complexes that got DOC provided power. We had that a lot for campsite services too. That let the utility do the heavy lifting of spanning wide areas at medium voltage so we could keep the feeders to the sites fairly short.
Posted By: Trick440 Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/24/07 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by George Little
Greg- 230.40 Exception No. 3 allows you to do just what you say - "allow a disconnect at each building when the conductors enter the building" The State of Michigan have written that out in the Michigan Electrical Code. Seems the consensus is that the property owner should not have to deal with unfused conductors any more than necessary after the Service Point. We require grouping of Service Disconnects when a single Service supplies two buildings.

Does this mean I need extra disconnect?

Thanks for the help guys.
Posted By: leland Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/24/07 02:12 AM
"....He refrenced 230.2, saying it is confussing if they need to interrupt the service. We offered to have a plaque made identifying, denoting the feeders supplying each building."

Trick440s' inspectors comment.
230.2 does nothing for discos.He only has 1 service.
Now we're up to 230.40!? What gives? Even with State amendments, what gives?
Ask for the explanation (nicely).
I personaly would have gone with the meter disco or 2 discos. But thats not the issue.

I still think your OK (technically). But then again, I don't have to deal with this AHJ.

"We require grouping of Service Disconnects when a single Service supplies two buildings." Thats all well and good, Now it appears to be settled.
But the article# is still wrong. No?

"
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/24/07 04:43 AM
Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and a separate structure shall be permitted to have one set of service-entrance conductors run to each from a single service drop or lateral.

This means you could bring the drop to the house, hit the meter can then split into two service entrance sets, one going into the house and one going to the garage without a disco until you entered each building.
I should have cited this back up there when I first brought it up.
Assuming his AHJ has not amended it, Trick could just move that disco to the garage and feed it with 3 wire.
Posted By: leland Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/24/07 04:57 AM
Either way I think his concern is with the cost/labor involved, to comply/appease.

Some times your the dog.. Sometimes your the hydrant...

Keep the peace or buck the system... the age old question..
I would (personaly) ask for a better description of the "violation". It may be a state amendment.Reach a resolution.Most inspectors are not animals.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Code Question - Service Disconnects. - 11/24/07 06:26 PM
The best I can tell based on the first post, the JHA quoted 230.2 for his/her ruling. Although there are two buildings, only one service is feeding both of them. Therefore in order to disconnect the power of the service, when multiple disconnects are connected to one service, they must be grouped together per NEC. Local code and site conditions define the word "grouped" and location(s) of the disconnects.

Another way to look at it is from a fire departments perspective. They arrive on the scene and the house is on fire. To locate the power, they are taught to look for the meter. They locate the meter and see it on the garage. They go inside and locate the main for the garage and shut it off assuming the power is off to the house. They are not going to read the panel legends or look for placards to go on a hunt for a second disconnect. They are focused of the fire and getting anyone inside out ASAP.

Meter pulling is only a last resort. Doing it wrong can kill the person popping the meter. If the disconnects are grouped together, they arrive and shut them all off. Whip, bam, boom, move on to the fire.
PHP Code

© ECN Electrical Forums