ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 528 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
If the feed for the panel and the branch circuit coming out are not in the same raceway and you didn't pull the neutral through there, then you have made an inductive heater.
Sorry for the confusion. If you loop the neutral therough your emergency panel following the path of of the hots it is OK or you could take the feed to the house panel with the neutral and snake it in with the branch circuit conductors making that switch loop out of it (what I thought was happening) you would be OK.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Now I think you get the picture. George and I were discussing this topic because it happened on one of the jobs I was inspecting and we are seeing this quite often. I made the contractor pull a neutral the same size as the line conductors feeding the emergency through the nipple carrying the branch circuits back to the main house panel. I also made him terminate that neutral on an additional neutral bar where he would connect the neutrals from the circuits being fed from the emergency panel. This would in effect make the house panel be nothing more than a junction box for the circuits being fed from the emergency panel and it would also resolve the inductive problems by having a neutral included with the branch circuit conductors in the same nipple. I hope that helps explain the problem and how I asked the contractor to resolve it. George’s original question is still unanswered though. We are seeing manufacturers of the generator equipment telling the contractors the original installation is fine. Is anyone eles anyone seeing this as well?

Tony

A
I think Tony has it right.
The hots from the transfer panel are supplied from the generator during emergency. They are all hots with no neutrals to balance the magnetic field.
Not sure how that circuit will even work without a return path. Is there a ground, or is the nipple, being used as the return ?

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
I bet they are landing the neutral from the generator straight to the neutral bus in the service panel. That is an inductive heater.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard