ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 512 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Well I edited it. It is all gone now. I deleted the whole thing except step one. We'll see if it comes back.

Didn't last very long. Someone reverted back.

Last edited by jdevlin; 10/15/07 06:33 PM.
C
Step #43 has the unsuspecting homeowner risking an arc flash in the face and a ruined meter clamp in an attempt to steal temporary power.

W
I added a description of what an arc blast is (feel free to correct any errors) to step 1. That might convince someone to call an electrician to handle this job...

"Please read the entire wiki before starting, so you might better understand seemingly conflicting information. Also be sure to understand what all the hazards and dangers are involved with high amperage high voltage that has no over current protection. Not only is there the usual shock hazard, there is a serious hazard called "Arc Blast". If a short circuit should occur on the power company lines before the main circuit breaker, there is nothing to open the circuit and thousands of amps at 120 or 240 volts will flow. This will be a huge amount of power converting itself into high heat, which will vaporize the wires and other metal. This will look a lot like an explosion, with very hot molten metal bits flying everywhere, and you will probably substain serious burns, and maybe start a fire."

The whole article seems to of disappeared (nominated for deletion on 10-16-2007)and replaced with these gems:

Update & upgrade your old fuse box or smaller electrical service to a modern electric service with circuit breaker convenience and 200 Amps capacity. Plan on a full day's work for yourself and able-bodied helper AND have a coffin handy.

This Wikihow could be better entitled "How to remove your own brain tumor", it's risky and there is high likelihood of your death.

If its gone, good. Shame I didn't get to read it though.

B
bb Offline
Don't worry, this article is still alive and kicking.
I tried to add a big warning in the warnings section,
but it may not do any good. I really hope Joe Homeowner doesn't try to follow this article because he'll probably end up a statistic. Oh, and I couldn't find the note warning about arc blast anywhere in the wiki article.

Correct, BB. I'm not familiar with "WikiHow" (didn't even know it existed until today!!)

I
Well, I have found out why our posts keep geting deleted there. Those (insert expletive) morons over at wiki how, consider editing of someone elses post bad form. So your posts are getting deleted by more morons who have no Idea what they are deleting. They ar edoing it merely on the principle of the thing. GRRRRR GOD I HATE STUPID PEOPLE

sorry
These idiots just seem to get under my skin.
Rant over

J
Anyone can edit a wiki. There are some who seem to think this is useful and keep reverting it back to earlier versions.

S
Isn't it technically illegal to tamper with the electric meter, since it's the lighting company's property?

I'm sure if you call the power company to remove the meter and disconnect the drop for you, they'll send a man out to do it.

They may charge you for it, but at least you're not messing with something that's not yours.

I
That is is exactly what I have been saying on many of my posts to the wiki. In addition to the safety aspects I have pointed out there, the meter and every thing before it are (in every case I know of, at least) the POCO's property and they typically get more than a little miffed if Joe Homeowner messes with either. Alas my statements fall on deaf ears there and some moron just reverts it to an earlier version five minutes after I post to it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard