ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by SvenNYC
Ian, a clamp lamp only costs about 5 or 6 dollars if you get it at a Walmart or some similar big-box mega-lo-mart. Your dad's being a skinflint.

Tell me about it. It turns out the garage will get one new circuit, without a permit (yes I lost the war), and the old stuff stays.

P.S. You still got the old plug? Trade you for the clamp lamp if you can't score a cheap one. Hehehehe crazy

Deal! grin

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
OK,just leave me a message with the PO Box or address to send it if you need it.

T
Sure, 'cause when you call the company they'll turn off the gas and charge helluva lot of money to have it fixed, so just ignore it wink

Gas trouble is pretty rare here since gas plumbing is about the most restricted trade in building here, but the gas incidents that happen are usually blamed on incompetent DIYers or unskilled laborers who mess with pipes. Like the fatal leak that blew up an entire apartment building in 2000... construction worker saw the need to use an angle grinder to cut through a live gas line. Or another in 2005 that almost ruined a nice old house... improper use of bottled gas. Or the guy who tried to disconnect his own gas range and blew himself up...

S
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Sure, 'cause when you call the company they'll turn off the gas and charge helluva lot of money to have it fixed, so just ignore it wink

Hehehe...yeah. That's just it. The gas company here doesn't charge for coming into your house if you report a gas leak.

Six years ago, we had a stove put into this flat. The guy from the store who delivered it unhooked the old stove and put in the new one to the town gas line.

When I got home I smelled gas. We rubbed liquid soap on the pipe and there was a bubble coming up from the leak. Gas company man was there in about 20 minutes with his big wrench to tighten the pipe.

T
Here they don't do or charge anything. They just say: "If you want it turned on again you need to have it inspected. And we won't inspect it until you had a licensed plumber fix it." Or just: "Get a plumber." And in an old house a gas leak usually turns into a full plumbing job. Old town (coal) gas contained a lot more water vapor due to its production than natural gas, so the joints sealed with hemp fibres dry out and start leaking a little. Not enough to smell gas or pose any danger but enough to fail a pressure test. So as soon as you touch anything you're most likely in for epensive new pipework and lots of dirt.

OK, it turns out the grey cable is a piece of 1950s, Levitt-installed NM. Gotta love tract houses. That cable disappears under a seam in the tar-paper, to a receptacle in my room I assume (my room is on the other side of that tarpaper.)

However, I still haven't figured out where that old fireplace cable (dark brown one) goes. I have a feeling the previous owner/handyman had an outlet in the way of said fireplace, ripped it out and thought "why not install some fans for my new fire-hazard..."

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard