Then there is the classic manner of hanging a light:

[Linked Image]

Things aren't much better inside the home:

[Linked Image]

Finally, our usual fine range receptacle install:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/05/07 02:56 AM
Thanks John, fitting title!

And before anyone asks, yes that is zipcord on that attic light. And yes, it used to go to a non-deadfront plug. (Since replaced with a modern, compliant one. At least until it goes to scrap.)

And yes, that old redwood 2X4 gets warm when the light's on for a few hours of work.

Ian A.
Posted By: mamills Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/05/07 03:29 PM
The flying splices are the icing on the cake.

I guess it might be the lighting (HAHA!) but it looks like there was a previous fire in this attic...if not give it time - we have fires all the time from people hanging light bulbs next to wood siding, wood posts, curtains, plastic shutters, clothing, etc.

i can only imagine what the service for this fine residential installation looked like...

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/05/07 04:53 PM
Except for the range receptacle, that could almost be pictures from this side of the pond as well.

What's the gray in the first photo Ian? (Looks as though the plant pot would be hanging on it if the ceiling gave way!)

Is that more unsecured Romex, or is it something like SE?
Posted By: classicsat Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/05/07 05:33 PM
Ian, get a clamp-lamp. It is a self contained socket-reflector-clamp good for clamping onto timber and using for a temporary work light. I had one I religiously used, but it got mangled to death somehow.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/05/07 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by mamills
The flying splices are the icing on the cake.

Believe or not, no flying (frying?) splices in these pics, just old raggedy NM! That dryer cable was replaced due to one though. I'll get pics of that when the drywall comes down in the garage.

I guess it might be the lighting (HAHA!) but it looks like there was a previous fire in this attic...if not give it time - we have fires all the time from people hanging light bulbs next to wood siding, wood posts, curtains, plastic shutters, clothing, etc.

Close, but not quite. See those metal straps in the background? The handyman installed a modular fireplace in the living room and put the chimney through the garage attic and roof. He must not have lined up the sections well enough, be cause they separated, and the nice hot smoke discolored all the wood, and burned a nice hole in the plywood sheathing.

i can only imagine what the service for this fine residential installation looked like...

John, more pics headed your way!

Originally Posted by Pauluk
What's the gray in the first photo Ian? (Looks as though the plant pot would be hanging on it if the ceiling gave way!)

Is that more unsecured Romex, or is it something like SE?

That's more Romex. It goes to the handyman's fireplace's fans, which no longer work. It comes off an ungrounded circuit somewhere...

Originally Posted by classicsat
Ian, get a clamp-lamp. It is a self contained socket-reflector-clamp good for clamping onto timber and using for a temporary work light. I had one I religiously used, but it got mangled to death somehow.

Unfortunately the closet light "has to do" (said my father) until (more like if) the garage gets rewired.

Ian A.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/06/07 12:08 AM
Here are pics of the service to this house:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/06/07 02:33 AM
Back when I was a Firefighter, we had a house fire call. Upon arrival the second floor was well involved. After we put the fire out, we interviewed the homeowner. He stated that in the closet where the fire started, it had a pull chain cord connected light. It was wrapped around a nail. In his words "It had been sparkin for weeks every time you turned the light on" The closet was filled with his teenage girls gowns. (he tried to put it out with a cooking pot before he called us. He was a lawyer. Real smart!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/09/07 07:24 PM
Ian, a clamp lamp only costs about 5 or 6 dollars if you get it at a Walmart or some similar big-box mega-lo-mart. Your dad's being a skinflint.

When I was a 12-year old kid (many many many many moon ago), I used to drape a piece of old extension cord with a bulb socket at the end over a nail, just like that. When we moved out of that apartment, I had left a burn-mark the size of a quarter on the wallpaper. eek

P.S. You still got the old plug? Trade you for the clamp lamp if you can't score a cheap one. Hehehehe crazy
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/09/07 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by WESTUPLACE
"It had been sparkin for weeks every time you turned the light on" The closet was filled with his teenage girls gowns. (he tried to put it out with a cooking pot before he called us. He was a lawyer. Real smart!

Reminds me of the Harlem building fire a few days ago. It was caused by a gas leak, according to authorities.

Apparently people had smelled town-gas in that building for weeks...but nobody had ever called the gas company to report it!!! shocked mad eek
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/09/07 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by SvenNYC
Ian, a clamp lamp only costs about 5 or 6 dollars if you get it at a Walmart or some similar big-box mega-lo-mart. Your dad's being a skinflint.

Tell me about it. It turns out the garage will get one new circuit, without a permit (yes I lost the war), and the old stuff stays.

P.S. You still got the old plug? Trade you for the clamp lamp if you can't score a cheap one. Hehehehe crazy

Deal! grin

Ian A.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/09/07 08:09 PM
OK,just leave me a message with the PO Box or address to send it if you need it.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/10/07 08:28 AM
Sure, 'cause when you call the company they'll turn off the gas and charge helluva lot of money to have it fixed, so just ignore it wink

Gas trouble is pretty rare here since gas plumbing is about the most restricted trade in building here, but the gas incidents that happen are usually blamed on incompetent DIYers or unskilled laborers who mess with pipes. Like the fatal leak that blew up an entire apartment building in 2000... construction worker saw the need to use an angle grinder to cut through a live gas line. Or another in 2005 that almost ruined a nice old house... improper use of bottled gas. Or the guy who tried to disconnect his own gas range and blew himself up...
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/10/07 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Sure, 'cause when you call the company they'll turn off the gas and charge helluva lot of money to have it fixed, so just ignore it wink

Hehehe...yeah. That's just it. The gas company here doesn't charge for coming into your house if you report a gas leak.

Six years ago, we had a stove put into this flat. The guy from the store who delivered it unhooked the old stove and put in the new one to the town gas line.

When I got home I smelled gas. We rubbed liquid soap on the pipe and there was a bubble coming up from the leak. Gas company man was there in about 20 minutes with his big wrench to tighten the pipe.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/11/07 11:43 AM
Here they don't do or charge anything. They just say: "If you want it turned on again you need to have it inspected. And we won't inspect it until you had a licensed plumber fix it." Or just: "Get a plumber." And in an old house a gas leak usually turns into a full plumbing job. Old town (coal) gas contained a lot more water vapor due to its production than natural gas, so the joints sealed with hemp fibres dry out and start leaking a little. Not enough to smell gas or pose any danger but enough to fail a pressure test. So as soon as you touch anything you're most likely in for epensive new pipework and lots of dirt.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Older Home, Usual DIY Nonsense - 10/27/07 11:43 PM
OK, it turns out the grey cable is a piece of 1950s, Levitt-installed NM. Gotta love tract houses. That cable disappears under a seam in the tar-paper, to a receptacle in my room I assume (my room is on the other side of that tarpaper.)

However, I still haven't figured out where that old fireplace cable (dark brown one) goes. I have a feeling the previous owner/handyman had an outlet in the way of said fireplace, ripped it out and thought "why not install some fans for my new fire-hazard..."

Ian A.
© ECN Electrical Forums