ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#167900 08/22/07 12:10 PM
B
We've all seen those structured wiring enclosures sold for the residential market.

What is a good alternative to those that will simply allow you to mount a 110 block or a 66 block for terminating home runs to wall jacks?

I saw the Milbank MN1100 used in an apartment building. They had brought the cable from the three jacks as well as the NID into this enclosure and terminated it on a 110 block. The enclosure is more or less flush-mounted in the wall, it sticks out about 1/2" at most, and it looks like there's room for at least a couple of 66 blocks or 110 blocks in there. The one I saw is mounted in a clothes closet.

Are there any other enclosures like the Milbank MN1100 (which is listed in their catalog as a "secondary service cabinet") which simply give you a place to mount 110 and 66 blocks and cover them up?

The structured wiring enclosures are nice and all, but they're rather expensive and have a bunch of stuff I have no use for. I prefer to use my own switches/routers instead of theirs--much cheaper!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
In a single family house I would just mount a piece of plywood backboard (size depending on the project), paint it black and put in a shelf made with generic shelf brackets and a piece of plywood at the bottom of it to give the router, cable, modem and UPS a place to stand.
Then I mount patch panels for the CATV, data and a 110 block for the voice cabling.

If I didn't want anyone to have access I would look at some of these enclosures from Hoffman, they come in either flush or surface mount versions and in a variety of sizes.

http://www.hoffmanonline.com/produc..._3=37416&catID=78371&itemID=3212

One word for the structured wiring panels with all their pricey proprietary accessories, lack of versatility and how they seem to always end up a mess after a few techs make their way thru them and make things work: JUNK

Last edited by mkoloj; 08/22/07 12:39 PM.
B
There's a definite price advantage to the MN1100 compared to the Hoffman enclosures..list price on the MN1100, which is 5x15x11 is about $50 vs. $150 for a 10x10x4 Hoffman enclosure. But the MN1100 can't be locked--not really a consideration, I just want something that has a cover and will keep the blocks protected, I don't need max security.

H
Jeeze mkoloj, it's refreshing to find somebody who shares my point of view. I catch flack every time I say what you said about using a backboard and that those structured wiring panels are junk.

Anyway, check Clifford of Vermont. They now handle a large part of the Emerson Electric line which was Reliable Electric. The telco closure that you are looking for traditionally has a plywood backboard to make mounting blocks and fastening cables easy. There is the indoor/outboor line in 3 sizes- BUPNP-1,BUPNP-2 and BUPNP-3 and the locking RC1212S and RC1824S.

-Hal

IMO The backboard is the best bet. From my days as a PBX tech, it is all about the backboard. You can mount 110, 66, krone blocks on it put D-rings on it and a few mushrooms for cable managenent, and you got a completly versitle cross connect. There are some hinged rack brackets [made by Gruber] that stick out about 4 inches that provide 2U - Perfect for cat5 patch panels.

I have installed the Leviton structured media panel and as far as I am concerned, they are junk, too dependant on expensive proprietary brackets/panels/spliters.

If you want the whole mess protected, get some 2X6 studs, build a box around it, and finish it with a nice piece of 3/4 sanded plywood on hinges. I have done exactly that as well, and it turned out very nice.

~TOOL_5150

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
E
Hal, it looks like we have made some new friends!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
I have definitely seen the wooden box manuever used a few times too, usually during a remodel when it's cheaper to hide the blocks than to have them moved, but i'm sure it can be made to look good and save a few bucks at the same time on a new work job.

Hal, I definitely agree with most of the things you post, I just bite my tongue so I don't gain the [Linked Image from fadzter.com] "rip a confused guy a new one" reputation I saw given to you at a phone tech forum I poke around sometimes.

H
But I try to be gentle.

Seriously, in the electrical forums we can toss the DIYs out because they pose a danger. Over there the DIYs and trunk slammers expect a free education and sometimes they can't take the hint.

-Hal

E
Let us not forget the ever-popular CG's over there, Hal.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
H
Not to mention their big brother, the IT "professional".

Then of course there is the know nothing "consultant" who comes to us for free information then charges his client for it.

-Hal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard