Does anyone hate random static electric shocks as much as I do ?
As an electrician, you get conditioned to retracting your arm very quickly when an electric shock is felt. This has led to some embarassing public moments for me; Crowds of grocery shoppers at the supermarket sniggering & pointing at me as I recoil, hissing expletives, after getting a static belt from the freezer
('pparently the wheels of the humble supermarket trolley are good static generators ). Also people staring at me in the carpark as I slap my car and cuss it, after getting a zap as I exit the car.
Anyway, after extensive internet research ( I googled it ), it seems that the only way of avoiding static shocks is to spray anti-static liquid over everything I touch, or wear a metal thimble. The anti-static spray only lasts so long and wearing a brass thimble 24/7 is just impractical and weird.
Is it just me ? Or does anyone else in the electrical industry have this static shock annoyance ?
If so, does anyone have any better avoidance tips ?