ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167442 08/12/07 03:04 PM
H
Has anyone every seen these lights before?

http://www.windowcandles.com

They are located in Maryland and an EC by me is going to use them in a large new house. I am not sure how to link here to the candle website. They look very intersting.

Harold:
Nice idea! My only concern is the 'yellow wire'.....suitable for inside of walls??
Looks like yellow zip cord to me, & no info via the pages in the link.

FWIW, I saw a 'candle'; 120 volt that plugs into a single receptacle via a male plug in the base. Can't remember where that was.

Last edited by HotLine1; 08/12/07 03:44 PM. Reason: mis-type

John
I
Originally Posted by HotLine1
My only concern is the 'yellow wire'.....suitable for inside of walls??
Looks like yellow zip cord to me, & no info via the pages in the link.

John here is some info I found on the site.

Wire

All wire is not created equal! Our custom manufactured wire is designed to work with all components of the system. Its insulation and internal threading is specifically engineered to work with our mounting clip and wire lock assembly. Use of any other wire may cause poor contact, and malfunctions in the system, and voids our UL/CSA approvals.

Wire is sold in a 500 foot pull box. It is run from the individual candles in a 'daisy chain' or in straight runs to the central power supply. It is not recommended to have more than 6 candles per run, to assure consistent brightness of all candles.

THIS WIRE MUST BE USED FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE!!!

WindowCandles Wire - 500 Foot Pull Box
Part # WC 18/2

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
John: Might you be thinking of "Receptacles That Face Up"? It was under "Photos Submitted for Discussion" forum here on ECN. I would have left a link, but I don't know how to do that properly. confused

S

Steve
H
John,

As Bob said, you must use the manufactures wire and install it as per the manufacture instructions. This is something totally new, and I have never seen it before. I thought that everyone else out there might like to see something new. You now can have "holiday" candles up all year round, using low voltage, and still meet the NEC.

H
BTW, There are end caps that you can install on these open "Receptacles" or spots where the candles plug into. The cap keeps dirt and other things out of the "receptacle".

It gets tougher each day to remember where you see things lately.

My question was regarding the 'yellow' wire being concealed in construction, not regarding the mfg instructions. Funny, they don't mention anything?

Thanks for the reminders and info.

John
B
Originally Posted by HotLine1
My question was regarding the 'yellow' wire being concealed in construction, not regarding the mfg instructions. Funny, they don't mention anything?

It's a class 2 transformer. I'm assuming that is what makes it acceptable to use that wire inside the walls.

This definitely seems like a better idea than the 120V face-up receptacles!

Just my opinion.
Putting these things in a new home wishing they will last the life of the home is optimistic at best.

I doubt if the single product company of Window Candles LLC with its proprietary bulbs, wire, receptacles, blank off caps, etc. will be around in 20 years for product support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard