ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mahlere Offline OP
Here is what we have...customer has 14 TV's total...basic CATV to 7 tvs, no set top boxes....HDTV set top boxes to the other 7....they have Direct TV for music and football only...

To the 7 HDTV TV's we have 2 RG6 quad shield cables...1 cable with CATV to the set top (with video cables into the TV's) and the 2nd cable directly to the input on the TV. When the customer turns off the set top input, and changes the tv to chanel 88, 90, 92, or 94, they recieve the satellite channel that is programmed to that tv chanel...ie, channel 88 receiver is programmed to music.

Now, back to the other 7 TV's, they do not have HDTV or set top boxes...they simply have basic CATV directly to the input on the tv.

question, is there a way to combine the Satellite signal with the CATV signal and run it through the one cable to these TV's?

The channels being used for Sat (88,90,92,94) do not have any CATV channels on them...So that theoretically, channels 2-60 should have the CATV channels, but 88 will pick up the Satellite feed.

I looked at diplexers, but they seem to require a set top box.

Thanks for the help....let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

are the 7 TVs daisy chained or do they all run back to a 8 way splitter
Not sure if this will help
http://www.eagleaspen.com/admin/download/fujian/file_17.pdf

this company has some products that might work too.

http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail.php?productId=38

Last edited by dougwells; 08/08/07 05:04 AM.
M
mahlere Offline OP
doug,

they are all home runs back to an 8 way splitter.

I didn't really get a look at your second link, but the 1st one would work if I had a set top box.

It combines the signals, but then calls for a diplexer at the TV to split them again.

What I am not sure of is this...do I need that diplexer at the TV or will the TV be able to take both signals in and understand them?

E
Erik:

Channel Plus is definitely the way to go. I am using their equipment at home for almost exactly the same scenario and it works great.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
mahlere Offline OP
well, I humbly admit that due to time constraints (pre-season football beginning soon) and not wanting to tick off the bar that these TV's are in, I am calling in the cavalry...:D

We work closely with an AV company, so they are coming to bail me out friday morning...but I shall learn something new, that's a good thing...

Cool

Originally Posted by mahlere
well, I humbly admit that due to time constraints (pre-season football beginning soon) and not wanting to tick off the bar that these TV's are in, I am calling in the cavalry...:D

We work closely with an AV company, so they are coming to bail me out friday morning...but I shall learn something new, that's a good thing...

How did it go

M
mahlere Offline OP
went well, and I did learn something new...

problem was in the cable side...because some TV's were using digital HD boxes and others weren't...

apparently the filters that are used, basically filter out the digital signals.

so we had to split everything into three groups

digital
regular cable
satellite

once we did that, we could run digital and satellite as we were

but then we filtered the satellite and ran it backwards through a splitter with the cable. then the one cable going to the TV worked like a charm running both satellite and cable.

L
LK Offline
Sounds likr they are trying to cheap out, for true HD they will nedd seperate runs, from the HD receivers.

T
Originally Posted by LK
Sounds likr they are trying to cheap out, for true HD they will nedd seperate runs, from the HD receivers.

See the initial posting.. The HD sets are using set-top boxes, with digital cable feeding them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard