ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#166373 07/19/07 04:27 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
More from Alan Belson and his wandering camera:

Typical French transformer building/tower. 1940-50s? Newer transformers are now mounted to poles or, as here, bolted to the outside of the existing tower. The original cables still enter and exit the building, but I've no idea what's inside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Hi, i remember seing these in the French Mediterranian, Cote d' Azur, San Rafaƫl - Frejus.
Near the Boulouris camping where we stayed was also one of those high TX buildings.
A service man was working there and i managed to get a peek inside ( pre osh days ) the HV cables entered near the roof through the green glass insulators.

In it was a HV switch, HV fuses a big transformer and kWh metering, as well as LV fuses and cables.

I was probably about 17 then and didn't work in the electrical industry yet, so i cant give exact details of the layout.
See if i can dig up a photo i have somewhere.

Last edited by RODALCO; 07/20/07 11:39 PM. Reason: typo's

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Rod, it is not clear in the pic, [ because of the reduction in pixels needed to e-mail shots to Paul ], but look closely at the door. It is 'locked' by a short length of blue polypropylene binder-twine tied through the hasp! crazy

Wood work but can't!
P
pauluk Offline OP
Alan,

Is the original of 0637 detailed enough to read the plate on the door?

If so, feel free to send the full-size image of that one and I'll crop and post.

Paul, I reduce all my stuff to 800x600 now before storing/e-mailing and you can't read much more on the original than the post. I'm over there this arbo to switch on the power at a mate's holiday home and light the stove in the middle of July [ - jeez, if this is global warming you can stuff it up your jumper!] for his vacation and I'll get a better shot then.

Wood work but can't!
P
pauluk Offline OP
Close-ups from Alan:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Click here for larger view

P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks Alan! smile

I hadn't realized the large silver notice was just a resuscitation guide. I thought it was going to be something interesting like transformer specifications and tap settings.

The old signs are quite fascinating. At least we can surmise that originally there would have been an isolator on the low-voltage side of the transformer somewhere in there.

And what d'ya say folks, shall we send Alan off into the French countryside to find HV isolator no. 4691? wink

By the way, any idea what the HV level would have been when this was new? And what it is now? Isn't most local HV distribution over there 20kV these days?

T
Austrian transformer towers look pretty much the same. ONce they were often wood, now probably brick or concrete (stucco on the outside anyway). I know one where they changed to underground wiring and just cut the old LV cables inside and outside, but left short stubs through the wall haning on the isolators... looks nice right in the middle of the village. Have to remember to take a picture next week or whenever I come around again.

Link Copied to Clipboard