ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Most felons are on probation for a period of time after their release. During that time they must have a job and stay out of trouble. Many are exploited by employers that know they can send the guy back by firing him.
I have worked with a convicted murderer, (10 years in prison) nice guy, and an armed robber, (served 3 of 5) he was just the driver. Nice guys, no problem.
Treat people the way you would want to be treated and it usually works out.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
E
Originally Posted by Alan Nadon

I have worked with a convicted murderer, (10 years in prison) nice guy, and an armed robber, (served 3 of 5) he was just the driver. Nice guys, no problem.
Treat people the way you would want to be treated and it usually works out.

The victims may beg to differ.

There are a whole lot of circumstances that fall into play.

Your type of work - Do you work on new tract homes, or in jewelry stores?

The nature of their offense - Did they go to the can for selling pot, or for murdering their previous employer? Were they in "Camp Snoopy" or "Supermax"?

The number of times they've been incarcerated - If they haven't been able to stay out for any appreciable amount of time in the past, why would you think they can stay out now?

Your own level of comfortability with it, and that of your other employees - Anybody going to lose sleep over it?

It all needs to be judged on an individual case by case basis.

I
ITO Offline
On the UP side: I am working three right now; they show up on time, do what they are told, don’t complain and address me as “sir”. I could give them a plastic spoon and ask them do dig a ditch and they would say “yes sir” AND get it done. One in particular cut his hand very badly a tried to hide it thinking I was going to fire him. He was very surprised when I sent him to the doctor and put him on light duty and did not fire him.

On the Down side: I have a had a few that just could not get rid of their demons and ended up back in trouble with drugs or alcohol and eventually they violate their parole and end up back in jail.

None of the dozen or so I have tried over they years has gotten violent or caused problems, the ones that go bad usually just self destruct and get crossway with their parole officer and when that happens its all over.

I don’t work rapists or child molesters under any circumstance.

101° Rx = + /_\
E
e57 Offline
I think it is against the law (or slippery slope) to even ask in my State? (Unless there was a conviction?) Or more than two years prior??? Or you are breaking the law yourself...????

432.7. (a) No employer, whether a public agency or private
individual or corporation, shall ask an applicant for employment to
disclose, through any written form or verbally, information
concerning an arrest or detention that did not result in conviction,
or information concerning a referral to, and participation in, any
pretrial or posttrial diversion program, nor shall any employer seek
from any source whatsoever, or utilize, as a factor in determining
any condition of employment including hiring, promotion, termination,
or any apprenticeship training program or any other training program
leading to employment, any record of arrest or detention that did
not result in conviction, or any record regarding a referral to, and
participation in, any pretrial or posttrial diversion program. As
used in this section, a conviction shall include a plea, verdict, or
finding of guilt regardless of whether sentence is imposed by the
court. Nothing in this section shall prevent an employer from asking
an employee or applicant for employment about an arrest for which the
employee or applicant is out on bail or on his or her own
recognizance pending trial.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
433. Any person violating this article is guilty of a misdemeanor.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=00001-01000&file=430-435

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
Mark, that only says you can't ask about arrests that didn't result in a conviction. You can ask if they were ever convicted of a crime.

Greg Fretwell
J
They only reason a LOT of us aren't convicts is that we never got caught.

R
Here in Canada you can only ask if they were convicted for an offence in which they have not been granted a pardon for.

If the person says yes, the employer is not allowed to ask what the conviction was for but I am sure the security check will tell them that.

Cat Servant
When I first entered the workforce, draftsmen were often suspected of having a prison term in their past; this was in part because the prison system trained many convicts in that trade.

The EC&M article details similar programs; prisoners are provided classes, even allowed out during the day to work jobsites.

Most of us had to surmount many hurdles to enter the trade. There was the test, the interview, the search for an employer willing to pay for our classes, the difficulty of paying bills, while being churned through a succession of employers during our apprenticeship. We recall lean winters, where we were refused temporary employment in the meanest jobs, "because as soon as work pick up they'll call you back."

So now we're supposed to compete with Joe Felon ... whose main qualification is that he's proven to be a screw-up .... who need not worry about rent or grocery money? Whose work schedule will be influenced by the prison shuttle - with the result that he will work hours not available to a 'good' kid?

Forgiveness may be divine .... but why don't we give non-felons 'a chance' first?

I
ITO Offline
When they tell you they will be late because they have to meet their parole officer its a dead give away. Another sure fire clue when the parole officer comes to the office to verify employment.

Tattoos on the hands used to be a good clue but now days it does not really mean anything but the tattoo of a tear drop on the face does.

I also do some government work and the background checks will reveal a lot.

101° Rx = + /_\
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard