ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#164265 05/29/07 03:21 PM
I am installing an isolating transformer with electrostatic sheild for a music recording studio 240 volt(60 amps) in and 240/120 out. it is in a residential house that has no steel. my question is does this sound like proper application/installation for this job(haven't done x-former in ions)i pull 3-#8's(copper)two phases tied to primary (h1+h4 and h4+h10), one ground (to factory provided lug) from new sub panel(feeds non isolated loads) in music room through 3/4" EMT to jbox,then whip into x-former. at x-former i install a double barrel lug to frame of x-former and tie x2 and x3 from secondary to oneside of lug and feed isolated sub-panel neutral from this bonding point. then bond single lug on frame and run to ground bar of my isolated sub-panel and feed isolated sub-panel from x1 and x4. does this sound right? or did i miss something? thanks in advance,
H2o

Last edited by watersparkfalls; 05/29/07 03:30 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H2O Sparks:
Check out the Technical Area for schematics. Scott35 runs a tight ship over there, and that should answer all your needs.
John

John
well i've researched my own question and since this is an isolating transformer i will actually use a tap block for x2 and x3 then intentially ground it to earth via ground rod and pull my isolated neutral from here(thus keeping it free from transient noises and keeping it isolated). for my equipment bond i will pull off frame grounding lug from transformer??
still reading....
H2o

john where is this tech area?
thanks
H2o

Go to the main forum page, then scroll down....technical section.......underneath the 'pics' area......
Sorry for the delay; I've been out of town.
John

John
R
You can't really isolate it from the utility as the isolating transformer will require a primary EGC that will be connected to the case and the secondary grounded conductor will also have to be bonded to the case.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
G
Isolation transformers do not have a grounded secondary as a general rule. That is the point. IBM used them for the convenience outlets in all of our old mainframe machines. The secondary was completely floating. That actually accomplished 2 things. We never brought a grounded conductor into the computer room panels so that was the only way to get 120v and it also prevented electrocution or overcurrent in any line to ground contact ... at least the first one anyway. The cases of connected equipment still got grounded via the EGC. Usually the line filters in the first piece of plugged in equipment stabilized the voltage at +/- 60v. We tried to keep the customes out of there but an available NEMA 5-15 will get used.

Greg Fretwell
I
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Isolation transformers do not have a grounded secondary as a general rule. That is the point.

I do not believe that will be NEC compliant.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
Isolation transformers need to have their output referenced to ground just the same way as any other transformer.

NEC says that if it CAN be grounded, it SHALL be grounded.

What doesn't need a ground connection is an "isolated power system" such as is found in a Hospital. But then you've got to have monitoring equipment to tell you when there's a fault in the secondary. There are also a few other very limited exceptions, but isolation transformers aren't among them.

Ghost307
G
This was under the covers of listed equipment, not premisis wiring.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard