ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
Receptacle adjacent to the basin in a bathroom -- Does anyone know in which edition of the NEC this was first listed as a requirement?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Paul:
NEC back to 1978, and it's in there. Best I can do now
John

John
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks John. I should have added that I have a copy of the 1971 NEC and it's in there.

T
My home was built around the late 60s, early 70s and there were no outlets. Maybe the requirement read GFCI required if there are outlets in the bathroom.

Dave

Paul:
I'm still looking around. I have an Assoc. Meeting (NJEIA) this coming Wed. Out of the 20-30 guys, perhaps some light can be shed!
John

John
F
PaulUK:

I am not sure if this is related to this or not. anyway here it goes most older style bathroom did have a repectaile with the lumiaire but to run seprated like currentally now i think they start doing that i think in mid 70's when it got widespread at the same time the bathroom get little larger along the way.

Paul i am sure your UK system still not allow the repectale in the bathroom unless it have RCD or isolated transformer for it if i am right?? [ I know the French verison so i will shoot it in a min ]

In France we have a repectale but it on RCD but not too widespred useage yet but slowly catchup with it.

I will leave that final answer with Allen Benson in France to find the final code with that.

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
Paul i am sure your UK system still not allow the repectale in the bathroom unless it have RCD or isolated transformer for it if i am right??

Only low-power xfmr-isolated shaver outlets permitted under the IEE Regs. at the moment (though of course in England it has never been mandatory to follow this "code").

RCD (GFI) protected outlets are set to be allowed from the next revision though. See this thread:

IEE/BS7671, 17th edition

G
Back in the olden days that was only expected to run an electric razor. Later a wall mounted plug was there for the electric tooth brush charger and maybe a night light. The invention of the hair dryer changed that all.

Last edited by gfretwell; 04/20/07 11:46 AM.

Greg Fretwell
Paul:
In 1965 NEC, there is no mention of bath receptacle (210.22 (b)) But, it shows up in '75 in 210.24 (b).

Looking into the time warp from '65 to '75 in the private library

Stay safe.
John

John
P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
In 1965 NEC, there is no mention of bath receptacle (210.22 (b)) But, it shows up in '75 in 210.24 (b).

Ah... So not there in '65, but the requirement is listed under 210.22(b) in my '71 NEC, so I guess that narrows it down to either 1968 or 1971.

In fact looking back at the '71 code I've just noticed that there's the vertical bar against the two lines which say "At least one wall receptacle shall be installed in the bathroom adjacent to the basin location."

Unless the wording was different in 1968 (which doesn't seem likely for something so simple), I guess that probably means that this was a new requirement in 1971.

Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard