ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Ok placing service on old house zoned comercial. Did a service 200a metermain.Installed a 60a double pole breaker feeding a main lug 100a panel where the load is nothing 4 rooms no a/c no heat no h20 heater just a storage at feed store. Well the inspector wants exit lights added smokes interconnected.All ok but he has a problem with my feeder to the 100amp main lug panel. Its a 100 amp panel with maybe 20 amp loads I feed with a 60amp and wired based on the 60 a feeder.I need to plead my case why the installation is compliant although he can`t show non compliance.I showed him the load calcs but..... I`d just like to give some code references and such.He`s looking for a 100a main breaker and #3 copper for feeders. If I had a main of 100 I could see his point but still i`d like be able to use code for my point or heck If I`m wrong I`d like to know why by code. Thanks again ps i`m looking also in the code.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
How many square feet?
What the the permitted occupancy?

Greg Fretwell
S
I'm thinking article 230, the section that requires a minimum 100 AMP service for a dwelling.

But it's no longer a dwelling. It's now commercial.

Does the inspector think that because the Main Lug panel is rated @ 100 amps it requires a 100 amp feeder?

G
I've seen dumber...
I ran into an inspector once who looked at a 42 circuit panel full of 20A-1P breakers and asked how I ever expected that to work if I didn't provide a 840A feed to it.

Ghost307
R
Just a storage area for a feed store. Actually he`s planning on putting plants and such inside.This was a old old house the wiring was up graded at some point but each room has a pull chain lite and 1 rec.This guy is a fairly new inspector and the town just started there own inspections.He`s now questioned my wire. I ran a 6/3 w/ground from a 60 amp double.

Last edited by Reel-Break; 04/13/07 09:04 AM.
A
Look at section 230.79 NEC.
If it is a house,i.e. single family dwelling then 100 amps per 230.79 (C)
If it is commercial 60 amps per 230.79(D).
If you have a permit for the job then have the issuing agency or zoning confirm what the building is for the appropriate electrical connection.
Note; Exit signage & lighting is not required in a S.F.D. and smoke detectors are not required in small commercial so the requirements are being applied for both uses.
Somebody needs to decide what the building is, either residential or commercial.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
L
when and what crash ??

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Link Copied to Clipboard