ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
I think this topic might have come up in the past somewhere, but has anybody ever had a Bosch 18 volt hammer drill? I've got a Dewatt, which has been ok, but my batteries have give up, and now the switch is going out on it. I'm thinking about a Bosch or a Milwaukee. Any thoughts on the matter. I've seen a Makita that was cheaper also. I've looked over the net here and so far Makita $ 179.95 , Milwaukee $ 200.00, Bosch $ 259.95. Actually the Milwaukee seems to be the best price. At one of my supply houses they want $ 265.00 for the same thing.
The Dewatt is $ 279.00 on the net and $ 300.00 at Lowes. Thanks for the input.. Steve

Last edited by sparkync; 04/12/07 09:55 PM.
S
Try the Panasonic. They are the only tool manufacturer that I know of who design and produce their own batteries AND cordless tools to work hand in hand. From my experience, their batteries seem to run longer than all the other stuff I've ever owned.

ditto what sandro said, all my cordless is Panasonic now

N
Have a 18 volt Milwaukee but the batteries have taken a dump so its of little use. I have heard good things about Panasonic, will consider one in the future.

Batteries are subject all by themselves.

FWIW, I've had a Ryobi 18V for about 5 years now and have had absolutely no problems with it, other than going through a few batteries. I understand y'all probably have this thing with the more expensive brands like DeWalt, but in my experience Ryobi can be just as good--at a fraction of the cost. Replacement batteries are incredibly cheap too, you can get a 2-pack for $40 and there are buttloads of tools that run on them.

But, if you must spend 3-4x more for the prestige, at least go with Rigid. They've got a lifetime warranty on them.

Originally Posted by noderaser
I understand y'all probably have this thing with the more expensive brands like DeWalt

Mate, the only thing that makes brands like DeWalt expensive is the marketing hype, the tools are no better.
Ever see a builder use a Black and Decker tool on a site without getting laughed at?.
Silly thing is, DeWalt and B&D come out of the same factory.
Food for thought,eh?.

Z
I had been using DeWalt 18V hammers for about 8 years, but I've gone through about 4 of them in that time. My last one just died on a job the other day, so I bought a new Makita LXT 18V hammer with the Lithium-Ion batteries. I realy like it so far, but we'll see how it hangs after some extended abuse. It was about $300.00, comperable to the DeWalts.

L
Originally Posted by Trumpy

Ever see a builder use a Black and Decker tool on a site without getting laughed at?.
Silly thing is, DeWalt and B&D come out of the same factory.
Food for thought,eh?.

I don't think B & D makes a drill with a 1/2" chuck diameter Trumpy. The gears in the B & D's are better suited for light duty jobs around the house, (IMO).

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

L
My favorite battery operated hammer drill right now is the Milwaukee 28V. It is absolutely overpriced and the batteries are also ridiculously priced. I bought the cordless bandsaw and got the drill free so it was worth the price to me and it works like a champ for big jobs. It is not a good drill basic work as it is large and heavy but when setting anchors in tilt up walls it drills like a dream.

On the subject of inexpensive or cheep drills and B&D being in bed with Dewalt I think what people don't consider is:

Milwaukee, Senco, Ryobi and a host of other equipment is made by the same manufacturer but to different specs provided by the company who owns the proprietary design. This was a hot subject on ECN a couple years ago and everyone cried up and down they wouldn't buy Milwaukee when they heard Ryobi was to be made by the same manufacturer. Where the equipment is made and by who doesn't matter. What matters is the specs, price, availability, and customer service.

Granite and Rexel Pacific sell allot of the same brands and parts doesn't mean they are the same or comparable (Well OK bad example as Granite is owned by the same people who sold Pacific and then jumped back in the game by creating Granite so they are comparable)

Milwaukee, Ryobi, Rigid, Panasonic, Hitachi, Craftsmen, and Bosch are all good tools and all have different strengths when it comes to cordless tools.

Buy what you like and what you can afford. There is not one single brand I can't destroy in 3 to 6 months. I've proved it time and time again to the guys in the field. I buy Milwaukee because I like them but I do hate their batteries and unfortunately their tools are overpriced.

edit
oops I left Makita off my list of good cordless tools
/edit

Last edited by Local; 04/13/07 05:34 PM.
Originally Posted by Luketrician

I don't think B & D makes a drill with a 1/2" chuck diameter Trumpy.

Actually they do Luke, they go up to 13mm here.
But I agree, the are not made for the heavy duty end of the market.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard