ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161415 04/02/07 10:12 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Saw this in the bathroom at a Coffee House, it brings up an interesting question, if something is obviously done for "artistic" purposes should minor violations, that are not a blatent hazard, be aproved? If you were an AHJ and an EC came up to you and asked if they could do this would you let them (critiscism of artistic judgement not withstanding?

sorry about the poor picture resolution, I took the pic with my girlfriends camera phone, wich led to a humerous conversation:
"can I use your phone?"
"sure"
*goes to bathroom w/ phone*
"who'd you call?"
"I took a picture"
"in the bathroom? WHAT did you take a picture of???? ..... wait, it was something electrical wasn't it?"
methinks I'm getting a wee bit too predictable :biggrin:

-Will A.K.A. Elviscat

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
What's this connecting to? Seems odd even if for artistic purposes!

"in the bathroom? WHAT did you take a picture of???? ..... wait, it was something electrical wasn't it?"

Good job she obviously knows you very well! laugh

S
Eh, sure, it may exceed 360 by a *small* bit, but if I were the AHJ, I'd probably grant an exception. You have to worry about cable pulling damage on something like that, though. They'd practically have to bend it with the wire already installed!

N
I guess that conduit is for AC and the straight ones are for DC :-)

S
Is that flex or EMT? I'm guessing someone had a scrap piece of flex and didn't want to measure/cut it to proper length. So they just snaked it to fit.

C
Artistic? no Ridiculous? yes

Why not just a straight run and paint the pipe if it is too 'ugly'? I guess they were out of conduit and only had the apprentice's practice pipe. smile

A
In this case it solely for artistic/appearence reasons and appears to be a very short run. I'm guessing since it isn't in the photo but I'd bet there is a j-box at the end of the "straight" section of the run. (just out of the photo to the left upper corner)

Yeah I would give it a pass on the 360 degree bend rule unless I determined that it was at the end of a homerun with no junction within 20' or so.....

E
it's EMT, and it runs out of the room on both ends.
-Will

S
Many years ago when I was teaching vocational electricity at a high school we would teach them to bend EMT like this: Take a 1900 box and 1 stick of 1/2" EMT; place the box flat on the floor; exit the box on the left, bend a double 90 (up in the air) and end up going to the right; bend a 90 to head up; then bend a double 90 and enter the box from the top. And make the length correct so you can use fittings on the 2 ends without cutting the pipe. We wasted a lot of pipe but they usually got it.
I may have had some goof offs, but they coould bend pipe when they left.

C
Looks like a fish tape straightener left over from construction.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard