ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
and applied copious amounts of clear RTV.

Waaayyy back when I did work for the cable companies there was an installer that liked to do the same thing. He nearly got strung up by the techs who went around doing disconnects and changes of service. Try standing on a 28 foot ladder out at the pole in zero degrees while having to whittle that friggin mess off with a knife so you could unscrew the connector!

Next time use a boot filled with silicone greese if you don't have snap-n-seals.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 11-11-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
I guess you made me feel better, Hal. In my case, I don't mind ticking off the guy who would stop my installation from working because he would be committing a crime. I can certainly see your point if you are having to make frequent changes in the wired cable biz. I really don't know Mr BigB or the nature of his application(s). You didn't hear any reports of my method being unreliable, did you? I'll definately admit that my connectors would take a little longer to remove, but the "Dish Mover" commercial tells me I'm supposed to firmly grasp the receiver and leave all that stuff up outside.
Joe

H
You didn't hear any reports of my method being unreliable, did you?

Actually, yes. The few that I have seen did have water infiltration. Even if you are successsful in encapsulating the entire connector with no pin holes, UV tends to cause deterioration and the adhesion to the cable or connector does break down. Even the smallest channel or opening will cause water to be sucked in.

Regardless, applying RTV like this in the field to a connector is not an accepted or reliable means of waterproofing. A boot (actually a spark plug boot) filled with a silicone grease will remain viscous and continue to flow and fill any voids that occur. I've seen connectors protected like this that have been in service for 30 years look and work like new. Clear RTV will turn yellow and start to deteriorate in a couple of years time.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 11-12-2005).]

J
Thanks Hal! I checked it this summer but you inspired me to climb the stairs to the porch above the garage and eyeball things again. No sign of deterioration or water infiltration yet after 6 plus years. I did find a failed plastic anchor which I need to replace. It doesn't make sense to me to tear it apart to redo it. I'll probably just eyeball things semi-annually and check signal strength off the transponders and acquire the parts should things start going south.

Your method doesn't require special tooling, just boots with silicone so it wouldn't be cost prohibitive.
Thanks again,
Joe

Old VDV Post Time! [Linked Image]

there is no alternative for RG-59 cable

You can't get hex crimp connectors for 59 over there- how many do you want?

Heheh, I have a 4X6in cable housing full of those that I found in my dad's truck.

I find the Digicon connectors to work better with RG-6 Quad cable. For inside use the crimp connectors will perform fine if installed properly but this applies to all connectors.

I use the Digicon connectors as well, seeing as I only have the tools for those, and know how to. Unfortunately, Comcast stopped using them for RG-6, since they're "too pricey," and now they use some no-name imports that work like ****. (Waste three to make one!) My father found a surplus bag of 100 in the supplies truck where he works; after that, they're all gone.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
I use there connectors now. They work for both RG-6 and RG-6Q Cables They cost me about .35 Cents each
http://www.jw-ent.com/Images/ProductSheet662.pdf

G
GTE Offline
I buy my coax connectors on E-bay. Any kind & make. Just bought some RG-11 Compression, very nice.

S
we use digicon exclusively. Even those for rg-59.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard