ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#159220 11/17/06 08:59 PM
M
les, quick update. inspector was super nice once we met and talked. no problems. go figure....

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#159221 11/17/06 09:52 PM
S
Mahlere, 2-men, 10 hours to do a 100 amp service upgrade? IMO that's taking a bit too long. If the panel has less than 20 ckt's I know from experience that I could do one by myself in less than 8, including upgrades to required grounding and bonding.

#159222 11/17/06 09:59 PM
M
shock, I can too. good luck with most employees.

But that 10 hours is this.

A mechanic and helper.
picking up the material
traveling to the site
stopping for coffee and bagel on the way
set up
installation
morning coffee break
lunch
afternoon coffee break
unknown # cigarette breaks
clean up
feet dragging
drive back to shop

now, I have 2 options. brow beat my techs and constantly replace them. or realize that it's fairly typical behavior and deal with it.

I've stated many times, the hardest transition is going from doing the work yourself, to hiring help, and adjusting your price for it.

#159223 11/18/06 12:03 AM
R
REW Offline
Mahlere,

Your point about a service done correctly is a once in a lifetime expense for most homeowners is well taken. I will use that as a tool to increase the value of our services, and perhaps increase our revenue slightly.

You are absolutely correct in bringing all safety issues or code violations to the customer's attention. When you go to the doctor for a broken toe, why do you think they take your blood pressure and check your heart. It is to get an idea of the overall condition of your body. If I went in for a broken toe, I would want the doctor to tell me the tumor growing on the side of my head might be a problem.

I look at it this way: We are like doctors, we must 1. show the customer what is wrong and how it affects them (diagnosis) 2. then tell them what MUST be done to correct this problem (treatment). It is then up to the customer to accept treatment or not. If you cannot get the client to allow you to treat them, you have not gained their trust and you must refine your "bedside manner"

Very few times when a person goes to a real doctor and is prescribed treatment do they refuse. Diagnose and prescribe treatment to your customers with the intregrity of (most)a doctor. Perhaps we should have a hypocratic oath for contractors. Ok that's it- let's do it. How about one of you wordsmiths prepare a Hypocratic Oath for electrical contractors. If you are a Doctor Electric, Electric Medic, Pysician Electrician (i made that one up), Wire Doctor, Romex RN, ect., this would be a great marketing tool.

[This message has been edited by REW (edited 11-17-2006).]

Rich
#159224 11/18/06 09:24 AM
S
I appreciate the breakdown, Mahlere. Really, I do. I'm extremely fortuneate to be able to use a website like this to gather information for when I do go out on my own. Like you said, "he hardest transition is going from doing the work yourself, to hiring help," that's going to be very difficult for me. I have a hard enough time keeping my cool when I ask a helper to go get me a 4x4 box and he comes back with a pvc nail-on box!

#159225 11/18/06 09:40 AM
M
wait till you price the job according to how long it takes you to do it. You send out a mechanic and apprentice to do the work and it takes them 50% longer. Then when you yell at them, you get a dumb look and a blank stare. So you fire them, and spend the time and resources to hire someone else. You go through this same scene 10 times in a year, then just get frustrated and fed up with the help available. It's vicious.

Now imagine doing all your work T&M - you get a good little group of customers. They like you. You do good work, you work efficiently, no problems.

Now you send out your mechanic (because you did so good, you got so busy, you had to hire help) and he takes 50% more time than you and doesn't do quite as nice a job. All of a sudden the customer (who you have worked with for 2-3 yrs with no problems) is calling and complaining about your rates, your charging too much, etc.

Once you hire employees its a different world. There are some guys on here who haven't figured out how to run employees, but they will tell you how to do it. There are other guys on here who run employees everyday. They are easy to figure out who's who. If you intend on growing and having employees, I'd pay attention to the guys who run'em. Not the one's who don't. (caveat -there are a couple of guys who post here, who currently don't run employees-have no intention to ever run employees again - but spent years running more guys than most of us ever will- macmikeman comes to mind- he knows a thing or two about running men, and knows he no longer wants to deal with it.)

#159226 11/18/06 10:44 AM
P
I sat through the ESI sales pitch a month ago and was VERY impressed with the plan they had. No, I did not sign up. Many of the ideas they presented I learned from putting together 'the best of the best' ideas from this website.
If you can't beat'em join'em.

ESI has a very good comprehensive plan for those who need it (and can afford it). They cover the entire needs, some of which would take you years to learn, and hand it to you for a fee. If they come to your area, I highly recommend attending their seminar.

It's pretty simple, if you have a plan that works for you, use it. If you don't have a good plan, you'd better get one or go work for someone who does.

[This message has been edited by PE&Master (edited 12-10-2006).]

#159227 11/18/06 11:50 AM
R
"...you are a salesman. whether you like it or not. "

Amen!

It is our job and responsibility not only to let the client know what he/she needs, but to offer them products and services that can enhance their lives or provide them with greater safety. We always educate our clients on the latest technology and products. We NEVER pressure them into buying.

We know: Dimmers can save money. They don't.
We know: Attic fans can save money. They dont'.
We know the importance of surge protection. They don't.
We know: Power factor correction can save money. They don't.

These are a few examples of things we tell our clients to allow them to make an educated decision whether to upgrade or not. Also, we provide them with a third party reference on much of our services, so that they do not have to take our word alone.

It is imperative that we provide our clients with any and every option that will benefit them and allow them to make an educated decision on their own. If you ignore this aspect of service then you are not giving the client the best service available to them. Besides, short changing yourself.

We have alot of great products that we are excited about, but the average consumer has no idea exists. It is our job to present them to the public.
ie. Timers for bath exhaust fans. How many people know that when they get done taking their shower, they need to leave that fan on for an additional 20 mins. or so.
We sell timers for that and they are a huge hit.

Sorry this is so long, but I don't post much.

Have a Blessed Day,
Rick Bruder
#159228 11/18/06 01:15 PM
L
LK Offline
Thank you, Everyone, for bringing this Topic to an Information format.

LK

#159229 11/18/06 01:18 PM
Thanks also

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard