ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Met with a guy to trim out his spec house. He had a falling out with the last electrician, and this project has been going on for 3 years.

Talked to the original electrician, and he was sorry for the falling out. Too many questions about who was responsible for the extras, etc. Says he hasn't gotten a dime from the guy in two years, but the guy paid him fine until then. Not sure whose fault this is.

1) Since I am coming in now, everything is billable, no questions about what is and what isnt billable, right?

2) How would you guys price this job. Its like 60% trimmed out. I need to terminate the panel, install all LL stuff, install Ambience lights/transformers, hang fans, wire appliances, etc.

The electrician wired the sons house accross the street and had no problems with either the son or the dad (guy who called me). I couldnt get the original electrician to say anything bad about the owner, no matter what I tried. He just said he didn't have time for the bickering anymore. Said I could call him anytime for info.

The owner owns this large beer distrbutorship around here, and it took me a while to place his face. He's from somewhere in the middle east, but I think he's Indian or Pakistani. I heard from someone that knew an empoyee of his who said this guy thought the US deserved 9/11. This has nothing to do with the job, but this info has bothered me since 9/11 and I haven't purchased any adult beverages from him since.

He seemed nice and on the up and up while we walked around, and my bs meter was not pegged at all. Just seemed like a guy who wanted his house finished. Maybe he's a lot smarter than I am.....

I was thinking T&M, what do you think?

[This message has been edited by kiwisholland (edited 09-09-2006).]

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
I would refuse doing work for anyone who considers that we deserved 9/11. I just can't stand being in the same room with someone like that. In fact, I would tell him to, you know, go bleep himself. But hey, thats just me. Also, I am a veteran, and I vote.

PS: I tried to keep this message free of any political bias.

K
The 9/11 info came fourth hand, so to speak. I never heard him say it.

C
I would only do it T&M. You don't know the quality of the work already done. Too many fingers to point problems at. Get a letter from the first electrician saying he has abandond the job. This is a legal requirement.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am here to learn
J
JJM Offline
I'm with ShockMe... you could also ask him directly what his thoughts about 9/11 and take your cues from there (perfect time too, since we're at the 5-year mark).

If he squirms, evades, or does anything that makes you question his partiotism, then pass -- and give him a few choice words to go along with it.

Joe

D
Tell him it would be T&M, get a large deposit.

Send an anonymous letter to the FBI or homeland security that you THINK you saw a Al-Queda logo in his house.

After a couple months, send the deposit to a 9-11 fund.

Then send him the reciept of his donation.

I
Members you should all know better than to go this far off topic.

Keep the discussion about the electrical business.

Leave the customers nationality and alleged political views out of the discussion.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
LK Offline
Please leave the customers nationality, and any alleged, political views out of this discussion, or it will be closed.

Thank you,
LK

T
You're doing flat-rate, aren't you? If so, why not stick with what you know? Start with a healthy testing fee to test that the existing wiring is OK, then proceed with normal trim rates from your book.

The only thing I'd adjust is a pay-as-you-go schedule with deposits or advances, and a well written limit of liability. You don't want to be held responsible for the work of the previous EC. If he's looking for you to take on full responsibility, make it a total rewire.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 09-10-2006).]

R
It is not possible to bid something like this. Too many unknowns.
T & M is the only safe way to go.
But at about $200.00 plus per hour, which is what most of you flat rate guys seem to charge, you probably won't get the job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard