ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
hodger Offline OP
Hey folks – we have been trying to calibrate our estimating software in the residential custom home market. The majority of our takeoffs are assemblies composed of materials and a wire allowance. It appears that on the last few jobs we have been coming in lower our actual hours compared to our takeoffs from our estimating software. I would greatly appreciate this forms feedback on how much time you would to completely install – rough and trim – along with a good wire allowance for the following most commonly used takeoff assemblies:

1. 400A underground service including 100’ underground trenching done by others (how much time only)
2. 200A underground service including 100’ underground trenching done by others (how much time only)
3. How do you guys figure out time on home-runs? Say (25) 12/2 circuits?
4. Recessed cans including trims – no bulbs
5. Surfaced light box and standard fixture
6. Fluorescent 2x4
7. Vanity light / sconces
8. Duplex receptacle
9. Quad receptacle
10. Floor receptacle
11. 1P switch
12. 3W switch
13. 4W switch
14. doorbell /chime

Our sales person usually will get copies of other EC estimates in our area (Austin) which seem to indicate a rate of $50-60 an hour. Then we run into the contractors that are charging less than $30.00 per hour. Interesting to not there is never middle ground its either less than $30 or more than $50. What are you guys seeing this work go for in your area per hour?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rick

rick
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
T
Hodger, funny you ask.I'm not so sure about this hour thing you talk about,In this neck of the woods most seem to do a sq.ft. 2.25 to 2.75 to code and then add in the extras {c-fans,cans,floor outlets,extra lighting etc.}However this seems to be a pretty touchy subject around here ! Most guys wont give you a straight answer about how they estimate residential construction. Some guys I know go in @ 1.75 sq. ft. and then JACK IT UP BIG on the extras ....Would love to see some others opinions on this matter.

R
hodger,

When you say...

"Our sales person usually will get copies of other EC estimates in our area (Austin) which seem to indicate a rate of $50-60 an hour. Then we run into the contractors that are charging less than $30.00 per hour. Interesting to not there is never middle ground its either less than $30 or more than $50."

I wonder if your state, or local government, has strict licensing requirements?
In most areas of PA, anyone can become an EC by simply "pencil-whipping" a form and obtaining a minimal amout of insurance.
I believe that this paves the way for underqualified, underpriced ECs.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 10-02-2005).]

L
LK Offline
"It appears that on the last few jobs we have been coming in lower our actual hours compared to our takeoffs from our estimating software."

Estimating software, is ok to check your figures, or get a budget figure, however when you are in need of more accurate pricing, you will need to apply your actuals to the takeoff.

Actuals, are job time, and motion records of previous completed jobs, along with a conditions cost sheet, this information will allow you to bid a profitable job every time.

Link Copied to Clipboard