ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 193 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1564 05/16/01 03:17 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
The discussions about Master Electricians bring up an interesting topic. PA has no statewide licensing, but the City of Phila. has an "Electrical Contractors License Exam" it is 4 hours, open book with approx. 40 questions with answers found directly in the NEC, about 20 found by using the NEC tables, calculations, etc. and about 20 theory & diagrams.(At least from what I remember in 1990). 70% to pass. Most of the suburban areas only have a form to fill out, and voila, instant Electrical Contractor. I know NJ has a 7 hour test with all of the above, plus business law & fire code. Delaware has a Master Electrician. There are also Apprenticeship/Journeyman programs available locally through the unions or also for open-shop organizations. What do some of the other areas of the country require?

M
Washington state has a four hour open book test for the electrical administrator (master electrician) license. Seven or eight topics are covered in the test. Every electrical contractor is required to have a licensed electrical administrator employeed full-time. The governing state agency strictly enforces the requirement too.

S
Mike;
what is a "licensed electrial administrator"
??????????????

No state License in NY. Suffolk County (Long Island) had a several hour open book written exam (I recall about 100 questions - some real obscure stuff!) and then a practical "hands on" exam if you passed the first (bring your own pipe, wire, etc.). The title is "Licensed Master Electrician"
There is also a restricted electrical license for work within units such as Boilers or Air Conditioners.

Bill

Bill
N
Hello from Colorado!
Around here we have a state wide license program.
4000hrs of OJT you can take an RW test (residential wireman). that means you can wire a home with no supervision.
8000hrs of OJT with at least 4000 of those in commercial for the JW (journeyman wireman)
after you have your JW you need to accumulate another 2000hrs of "Layout, design, and supervision"
ALL tests are 4.5hrs long and consist of 100 questions. (open book)
BTW for the record, I think the hands on test is the way to go. Just because you know the book does not mean you can do the work!

Jon Niemeyer
B
Well in Arkansas a few years back was an EC nightmare! They grandfathered all electricians with verification of 6 years experience recieved a Masters License.
There are several Masters that was 1 year apprentices that was given false information so they could get there Masters. The contractors in this area doubled in a matter of months due to this offer,not counting the quality of work .
I'm mainly a residential guy with limited time on commercial jobs,but one story to share, this new master that used to work for me started his own business and had a friend from church recommend him to work a 3 phase generator on a national park bathouse,and he got his wires crossed and burnt up the generator,the next day he was talking to one of our commercial guys and was asking what he did wrong,if you don't know what your doing LEAVE IT ALONE!

We've got one coming up here in CA for all electricians. It was supposed to be implemented this year, but the wheels of govt. being what they are, they haven't worked out all the details. (This will stop the use of the 9 month "journeymen", and the 2 yr "foremen". Thank Goodness)

M
An electrical admimistrator is responsible for NEC compliance on all work done by the electrical contractor. Making sure the electrcial contractor is following all the state rules, regs in the state electrical code, apprenticeship training, etc. You can have a administrator's license, but cannot due any hands-on work. You need to have a specialty license or general journeyman's license to do that. [Linked Image]

Mike,

So does that mean if We (Masters) moved to Washington We wouldn't have to do any work?
[Linked Image] (just kidding ... hmm)

One time after making a statement about Licensed Electricians I was 'corrected' by someone from Washington that "Contractors are Licensed, Electricians are Certified"
What exactly does that mean?

Bill

Bill
Tom Offline
Bill,

Is that "certified" or "certifiable"?

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard