ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 106 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#155502 01/12/05 01:15 PM
D
I spoke with a friend about this, Hal (a friend with an MBA). She said the one item in a sale is inventory, etc., the other is "repeatable business", which is what a buyer is really looking for that could fetch a nice price.

Having a salable business would be a nice addition to the retirement fund, but I'm not very confident in my business sense to pull it off.

Dave

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#155503 01/12/05 02:13 PM
A
A-Line Offline OP
I think that someone who doesn't include a salary for themselves in their overhead but figures that what ever the profit the company makes is their salary is not running their company like a business.
They should determine a reasonable salary for themselves and pay themselves that salary as part of overhead. If the company's profit isn't very good than they might be paying themselves more than they are worth and might need to reduce their salary.
If the company's profit is high than they may be worth more than they are paying themselves and could increase their salary or maybe give themselves a bonus.

How often do you see companies that post a profit loss for the year? The CEO still gets paid doesn't he? He may get less of a bonus or no bonus at all but I bet he still gets paid his salary for the year. If the company's profits don't improve he would probably be fired or else his salary would be reduced.

My personal goal is to have an annual salary of at least $100,000 and a net profit of 10% or more for my company. I feel this would make being in business for myself worth it.
If I reach this goal I will set another goal to reach.

I'm in it for the money not the enjoyment. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 01-12-2005).]

#155504 01/12/05 02:40 PM
A
A-Line Offline OP
Dave55,
Becoming an Electrician requires alot of knowledge and learning. If you apply the same enthusiasm to learning the business end I'm sure you will do well.

#155505 01/12/05 02:50 PM
H
Well, that was my feeling too. This thing about business vs job is overly simplistic.

We are in service businesses and you can't compare that to something like a retail store or a professional practice. These all generate repeat business that is predictable. We don't normally have much inventory and our business comes mostly from new customers. Not every small contractor is going to be able to have an exclusive relationship with GC's, property owners etc. so that there is predictable source of work.

Still, I think all things being equal that a contracting business that generates say $1 million a year is worth the same as any other type of business generating that amount.

In the eye of a buyer however that may not be the case and that's where the discrepancy lies. It's not whether you run it as a business or a job but how attractive you make it to potential buyers.

Take two used cars, both same make, model and year. One has 150K on the odometer, other 30K. The one with high mileage needs tires, is dirty and could use some mechanical work. The low mileage one is clean and runs well. Which one is going to fetch the higher price?

So, I think the topic here should be "what makes a business attractive to a buyer".

-Hal

#155506 01/12/05 04:52 PM
A
A-Line Offline OP
A business can generate $1,000,000 in sales but still not be profitable.
A business that generates 1 million in sales with a net profit of 20% should be more valuable than a business that generates 1 million in sales with a net profit of 5%.

Hbiss
I didn't catch the part about all things being equal so I guess you meant that the profit was equal in both cases. So I agree with what you are saying.

#155507 01/12/05 04:59 PM
A
I think the point of the articals is how a business should be structured. A corp. is it's own entity and idealy should make a proffit for the shareholders (owners) for investing in the company not for working. The people that run the corp (CEO(s)). should recieve a salery. Then the jobsite worker should be paid for work done. If your a small owner operator you might be neglecting to pay the shareholders and CEO(s). In that case you might just be recieving a wadge for job site work.

I $50K for the running of a suscesfull EC is a goal. Another $50K for being a superviser electrician is fair here. With 5% company profit at the end. I'm not there yet. I can understand some say it does not matter as long as I take home $$$$. I guess it all works out if the numbers are the same.

But if you take the lower numbers $35,000 and devide it into 3 parts like I said what are you making? I don't think I can get an experianced electrician around here for at least $41K ($20/hr).

The differance is an outsider might invest somewhere around what the company grosses if he can get a return more than garrented intrest at a bank. Pluss the $$$ a CEO is paid may make it worth his trouble or he may hire a person for the job.

Maybe another way to look at it:
Can you hire a manger, estomater, and electrician to work your hours and get your pay and benifits?

If asked a person to invest in your company what would they get at the end of the year?

No offence ment I just like to see us all do well.

Tom

#155508 01/12/05 05:06 PM
A
A-Line Offline OP
The unpredictablility of our business is why I believe it is important to track overhead and profit margins often and not just do it at the end of the year. Adjustments should be made as you go along. Don't wait until the end of the year to find out if you made a profit or not.

#155509 01/12/05 10:11 PM
C
I am a second year apprentice..i have read the E Myth Contractor..It makes perfect sense. You must be able to put your business on "auto-pilot"...so you can go do something else..like start a real estate business to invest profits made with your electrical contracting business. that's what this guy does in my town...he has been a union electrical contractor for a long time now, and has one of his sons doing contracting under a new company they formed(non-union). then he keeps buying real eastate in town...I hope to follow in his footsteps...should take about 40 years.

[This message has been edited by Clydesdale (edited 01-12-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard