ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#154700 11/15/04 05:48 PM
A
Hay Dave and oters. I'm another tiny EC from northern IL. We have been in business for 3 years. I normaly have 1-2 emploiees but just one now with 2 trucks. We do reidential remodels and service call work. Also do small comercial jobs.

Tom

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#154701 11/15/04 06:17 PM
E
My story is short and to the point. Master electrician in Massachusetts. One man operation. Doing it since the late 80's. Solo since '94. Work hard, charge accordingly, doing very well. Residential remodels, kitchens, a new house here and there, and a rare small comercial job. ... Scott

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 11-15-2004).]

#154702 11/17/04 09:19 PM
A
I'm a one man shop. Started part time in 1998. Plan to go full time in about a year. Do mostly residential with some comercial. I have been an electrician since 1982.
I'm currently working full time as a maintenance electrician in an industrial plant.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 11-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 11-17-2004).]

#154703 11/22/04 08:13 PM
D
One man shop. Work as a full time FF (every 3rd day) to support my business. [Linked Image]

Started doing "home improvement" (pirate EC), a few years ago, but had Code knowledge, and insisted it be followed. Lost several jobs that way (that's a lot of extra money... is it really that important?), but impressed the City inspectors...

Finally had chance to take correspondence class, and got hired by a few EC's as helper and then 2nd man. After a few years, was able to challege license test and passed.

My "regular" EC where I used to work my off days went teats-up this past year, so I've been scrambling. Once my daughter enters day-care at my wife's work (hopefully Jan-Feb), I'll probably start looking for a semi-full time gig with an established EC, since I'm not quite big enough to do it on my own yet...

But I'm working on it!

#154704 11/25/04 09:05 AM
P
Started my career as a helper installing halon systems back in 1981. Left the trade every so often to go to college but always came back when I ran out of money or ambition.
Learned the most doing service work---dealing with knob and tube in the morning, fire alarms at noon, then motor controls before going home.
Passed the masters 5 years ago and started solo. Took on a partner 6 months later---then hired his brother----hired a helper---now I've stalled out. The paperwork, the bills, the estimates, the invoices, the employee's personal problems--ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
We mostly do residential remodeling, basements, kitchens, bathrooms, additions. Thanks to Les and everybody else here, I might figure out how to actually make a profit one of these days.

Power to the people
#154705 11/26/04 12:07 AM
K
I'm Carla. I run my husband's home office and work as a Realtor from home. Kevin just got fed up with his company last year and decided to go out on his own. He has been swamped ever since. We sub out at least half of his work to other master electricians (with their own insurance). Now we have just gotten 13 houses (3 of them over $1 million homes), a restaurant, several basement finishes, plus all the odds and ends work. It looks like it's time to start hiring or turning down work. I've heard nightmares about having employees... Does anyone have an opinion? Slow down, hire, or is their another option?

#154706 11/26/04 09:57 AM
S
we are a small 2 man shop that really just started. we got sick of the old boss and working conditions and decided what the heck lets give it a try. we do light commerical and remodel and service work for residental. we also do complete hvac services.

#154707 11/26/04 04:09 PM
Hi, I'm Tony. I have worked as an electrician and am currently self-employed, running a cinema technical service. (Ten years now!) I repair and install film and video projectors and sound systems for cinemas and home screening rooms. My work involves a lot of electrical duties, including adding circuits, spec'ing panels, load calcs, pulling wire, troubleshooting.....

My user name is from the early nineties when I raced motocross, a factory rider of the era nicknamed me "Slick".

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 11-26-2004).]

Stupid should be painful.
#154708 11/26/04 08:55 PM
M
I too am a "Loner", do mostly Service Upgrades, After the Builder type installations, remodling projects,rewires etc.
Some commercial maintenance mixed in occasionally. NO new construction
Located in Central Kentucky.
Love what I do !!!

#154709 11/28/04 02:41 PM
A
AIO Offline
Hello to all. Thought I'd jot a reply to introduce myself since I just found and registered on this forum. I am just starting my third electrical contracting business in Dayton, TN. Mostly for my youngest son which has decided he wants to do electrical work and wanted me to start another business. He's 27. Originally from Florida. I started in the electrical trade in 1968 in Miami, FL. There were no trade schools to speak of and you apprenticed by OJT working with a J.E. back then. I sold out and moved from Florida in 1998, where I was a state licensed EC. I have worked in many different areas of the trade, but I enjoy the challenges and direct customer contact of residential service work. I now get to experience farm and agricultural type wiring since moving to rural TN. I don't do attic or much ditch work anymore at my age, I told my son he would be responsible for that part of the job now. Looking forward to working and sharing with the rest of you fellow electricians and picking up some new ideas. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard