ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Positive Ground on 125 VDC Station Batteries
by The Watt Doctor. 05/23/19 08:55 AM
2020 is at the printers.
by gfretwell. 05/22/19 10:11 AM
Chinese wire symbols?
by Texas_Ranger. 05/19/19 03:09 PM
Pool - Daisy chained GFCI
by gfretwell. 05/18/19 01:30 PM
110.26 working clearances
by HotLine1. 05/14/19 02:08 PM
New in the Gallery:
What is this for?
Plug terminals
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Old hand tools #153445
02/23/07 07:40 AM
02/23/07 07:40 AM
pauluk  Offline OP
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,520
Norfolk, England
Thanks to TrimixLeccy (U.K.) for the following:

Let's see if anyone can identify what these tools are for. Probably be an answer within minutes, but I thought they were quite rare and have never seen any others. The 2 tools are both for the same job and the second pic is a close-up of one end of the tool. I am not certain but I am lead to believe that my Grandfather had the tool on the right made some 60 - 70 years ago, family myths and all that. It would be nice to think that he had though [Linked Image] ...and yes, they are still used today on rare occasions. I actually used one of them only last week which prompted me to take a picture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tools for Electricians:
Re: Old hand tools #153446
02/23/07 08:10 AM
02/23/07 08:10 AM
xGROMx  Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 22
Manteo, NC
The only thing i can think of is fuse pullers, the left one for glass screw in fuses and the right for cylinder fuses. But thats just a guess.

They are electrical tools right?

Re: Old hand tools #153447
02/23/07 11:23 AM
02/23/07 11:23 AM
Texas_Ranger  Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,451
Vienna, Austria
Definitely designed to hold something round, but what?

Looks like the one on the left is designed to grab something by tightening the wing nut on the end.

Re: Old hand tools #153448
02/23/07 01:38 PM
02/23/07 01:38 PM
TrimixLeccy  Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
Yep they are Electricians Tools. Being an Electrician runs in the family.

As for being 'fuse pullers'; interesting thought; but about as far away from the correct answer as you could get. Nearly all the fuses in U.K. are enclosed in some form of insulated carrier so a puller is not needed. There was one type of fuse decades ago known as 'A death-wish fuse', where the fuse wire ran along the outside of the carrier. Put the fuse across an uncleared fault and get a striped hand for free!! 0(
Even though one of them is wood and metal and the other is all metal they both do exactly the same job. Used the wooden one again today.

Re: Old hand tools #153449
02/23/07 02:11 PM
02/23/07 02:11 PM
Kenbo  Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 233
Clearly to hold something in place.

The wooden one you squeeze the wood and metal so the jaws open...realease and the spring pulls jaws shut...I could use them to put nuts onto threads in difficult places. Much like a gripping screwdriver for nuts and bolts?


der Gro├čvater
Re: Old hand tools #153450
02/23/07 02:33 PM
02/23/07 02:33 PM
classicsat  Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 456
Broken bulb pullers, to pull broken bulbs?

Re: Old hand tools #153451
02/23/07 02:36 PM
02/23/07 02:36 PM
John Crighton  Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 177
Southern California
Since the wooden/metal tool as shown seems to be completely closed (or nearly so), I don't think it's for gripping anything round. It's more like a pair of pliers for squeezing two things together, round or otherwise. And the wood/metal tool does the squeezing while you push against them.

Sort of like an installation tool for snap-in cord grips.

Ah! It's for grabbing duplex receptacles while twisting them around so they're U-ground-UP! No, wait, wrong side of the Atlantic...

Re: Old hand tools #153452
02/23/07 03:23 PM
02/23/07 03:23 PM
geoff in UK  Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 197
Grabbing shade rings in awkward shaped light fittings?

Re: Old hand tools #153453
02/23/07 11:12 PM
02/23/07 11:12 PM
coolshoes  Offline
Junior Member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3
looks like a crimping tool to me

Re: Old hand tools #153454
02/24/07 10:31 AM
02/24/07 10:31 AM
LarryC  Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 783
Winchester, NH, US
More Pyro tools?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3


2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
L.I. New York
Posts: 99
Joined: August 2003
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
255,260 Are you busy
191,296 Re: Forum
181,087 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.030s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 1.0250 MB (Peak: 1.1953 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-05-27 00:18:42 UTC