ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#153063 05/19/06 02:28 PM
:
is the shown "Gold Star" the same GoldStar that turned to LG?

#153064 05/19/06 04:07 PM
S
Actually the Korean "Goldstar" is/was Lucky Goldstar.

That's where the L.G. comes from.

I have an old cordless table-top radio (Silicon Super, oh boy!!) made for the South Korean market.

It was sold under the "Mamiye" brand, but inside, the componetns all bear the Lucky Goldstar's starburst logo.

How it got here, I haven't a clue. Maybe a Korean ex-pat who moved here about 4 decades ago, when the radio was new brought it over.

Only way I can guess that it have ended up here. [Linked Image]

#153065 05/19/06 04:26 PM
:
Sven, I know the electronics manufactor goldstar turned to LG, but is that exhaust hood from that brand, or from a different "gold star"?

#153066 05/19/06 05:11 PM
A bit slow to let go of gaudy styling!?! Our old coins had been in circulation for far longer than the boring politicians who decided to get rid of them, [believe it or not]! [Linked Image]
£ = libra, latin for pound.
s = shilling, from a 1ST milennium Viking word meaning to nick a silver wire to enable it to be broken into pieces of equal values.
d = penny, from the latin coin the denari.
Denarius had been in circulation in various forms for 2000 years in Britannia since the Romans.
The crown was born from "pieces-of-eight" stolen from the Spanish by Elizabeth I's English Pirates in the 16C. Rather than have the expense of re-minting the coins they defaced them by stamping a small Tudor crown right into Phillip I's ugly fizzog.
What did we get in return for our romantic coins, [ the far-thing, half-penny, thuppenybit, groat, tanner, shilling, florin, half crown, double-florin, crown, sovereign, guinee? The pathetic 'p' or 'new penny', specially designed for the thick and stupid who couldn't count up to twenty unless they took their socks and shoes off. [ in Norfolk, that'd read 24!] Mind you, by the time the coinage was dumbed down in 1971, they had already stolen all the real silver coins out of circulation and replaced them with cupro-nickel. Today even those are going, replaced bt plated crap. Have any Brits noticed the p is now magnetic dross?

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 05-19-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
#153067 05/19/06 06:57 PM
C
I'd highly doubt that the depicted Gold Star is of any relation to the now LG company.

In that day, some Korean firm would not be making appliances for the UK or other markets, let alone cheap electronics.

#153068 05/20/06 07:29 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I'm not familiar with the history of the company in that ad, but I doubt it had any connection with the modern LG.

Back in the 1960s, the majority of larger electrical appliances sold here were solidly British made. Electronics goods such as radios and TVs which did come from the Far East were mostly Japanese.

£ = libra, latin for pound.
s = shilling, from a 1ST milennium Viking word meaning to nick a silver wire to enable it to be broken into pieces of equal values.
d = penny, from the latin coin the denari.

For your bonus points, what am I describing here?

Penny = "Bong"
Sixpence = "Ding"
Shilling = "Ding ding"

(Hint for West of Ponders: Your "Bong" was worth more than your "Ding ding." [Linked Image] )

#153069 05/20/06 12:17 PM
C

Penny = "Bong"
Sixpence = "Ding"
Shilling = "Ding ding"

Hmm,sounds like a postpayment CCB (AKA payphone)to me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard