ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#152633 11/07/05 06:30 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
Here are a few old advertisements from New Zealand that I came across while surfing:

Advertisement from 1923:
[Linked Image]

Advertisement from 192?:
[Linked Image]

Advertisement from 1935:
[Linked Image]

Hmm,
Not actually an advertisement, but haven't we come a long way in workplace safety rules?.

[Linked Image]

Un-believeable!. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to correct bad tag}

{Extra edit to insert dates}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-09-2005).]

#152634 11/07/05 07:17 PM
Mike, is this NZ? One of them blokes is the right way up!! Lookit that daft bugger stripping the insulation with his teeth! In any case, they are both up the pole- those shorts with braces are soooo outre. [Linked Image]

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#152635 11/07/05 07:42 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Alan,
is this NZ? One of them blokes is the right way up
Yes it is, it's from when the first single circuit 110kV lines were run.
And yes, you'd sort of have to hope that the guy that was the right way up, was the fella on the bottom set of cross-arms. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-07-2005).]

#152636 11/09/05 01:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Just a little question.
Did the Detroit Electric Car ever have much of a turn-over in the US?.
Reason I ask that, is because, goods were never sent here from the US unless they sold well there, we had the Model A and the Model T here, but this?.

#152637 11/09/05 08:41 PM
Y
Electric cars were popular among well-to-do women until about 1930. Women did not want to deal with hand-cranked starters, pre-synchromesh gearboxes, manual chokes, and the like. Most of their driving was local, so range was not an issue. As internal combustion technology improved (electric start, better gearboxes, automatic choke, etc.) electrics faded from the scene.

Electric trucks were used to some extent for local delivery during this same period. Having fewer moving parts, they were more reliable in the earlier years. A company whose delivery routes could easily be planned within the limitations of the batteries might have found this an attractive option. As internal combustion became more reliable in the late '20s/early '30s, these too were phased out.

I think I remember reading that Jack Mack, the founder of Mack Trucks, was killed when he stopped to help a woman start her car. Manual starters were famous for breaking arms when a cylinder would backfire. In Mack's case, the crank hit him in the jaw and broke his neck.

#152638 11/09/05 11:31 PM
T
In the early afternoon of March 14, Jack Mack was enroute to a business meeting in Weatherly, Pennsylvania in his Chandler coupe. His car became involved in an accident with a trolley car of the Lehigh Valley Transit Company, which was crossing the road diagonally. Jack was killed almost instantly when his light car, being pushed off the road ahead of the trolley, was caught against a heavy pole and crushed like an egg shell. His body was interred in Fairview Cemetery in Allentown, just above the former Mack plant on 10th Street.

#152639 11/11/05 11:19 PM
Y
OK, no wonder I couldn't find it on Google. All I found is that he died in a car accident in 1924. I read that story about somebody. I don't know how I thought it was Jack Mack.

BTW, if you Google him, you have to "-heart attack".

#152640 11/12/05 07:24 AM
T
Manual starters were famous for breaking arms when a cylinder would backfire.
Happened to my grandfather when he tried to crank up a tractor some time during the 1950ies.

Regarding that accident: until today trolley cars are much stronger in accidents than ordinary cars... from the trolley car accidents we had here in the last 20 years I can say the only things that are really dangerous for trolley cars are snow ploughs, trucks and members of their own species.
About a year ago a bus driver crossed a red light, got hit by a trolley car and the trolley drove almost right through the bus. The bus was scrap metal and two people died (even worse, two children, a 4 year old boy flew out of the window and a 16 year old boy was decapitated by sharp metal edges), the trolley was repaired pretty soon and is in service again... the worst injury in the trolley was a bruise...

#152641 11/12/05 11:54 AM
P
Electric cars were popular among well-to-do women until about 1930. Women did not want to deal with hand-cranked starters, pre-synchromesh gearboxes, manual chokes, and the like.

Not to mention the manual control of ignition advance/retard which was common back then as well.

As internal combustion technology improved (electric start, better gearboxes, automatic choke, etc.) electrics faded from the scene.

It's interesting to compare how certain features became accepted as standard in some places while still regarded as luxuries in others.

For example, British cars with a normal carbureted engine still had manual chokes decades after automatic chokes became standard in Detroit.

As for automatic transmission, it's still only a tiny proportion of vehicles which are so equipped in the U.K.

#152642 11/13/05 01:13 PM
T
As an extreme example, the East German Trabant had a manual choke until 1990.
[Linked Image from dyna.co.za]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard