ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 541 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
As I read the code, orange is really only a suggested color for the high-leg on a 4w delta, not mandatory (my emphasis added):

215.8 Means of Identifying Conductor with the Higher Voltage to Ground. On a 4-wire delta-connected secondary where the midpoint of one phase winding is grounded to supply lighting and similar loads, the phase conductor having the higher voltage to ground shall be identified by an outer finish that is orange in color or by tagging or other effective means. Such identification shall be placed at each point where a connection is made if the grounded conductor is also present.
The 1971 NEC says the same thing in article 200-6(c), just with slightly different wording, but has a bar indicating a change beside the part which mentions orange or other effective means. Could this be when the orange high-leg was added to the code?
You could mark all three conductors orange in a midpoint-grounded delta system. It just wouldn't be very helpful.

I can't find anything in the 2002 code against doing that, but it seems as though it would have been a violation at one time. 1971 NEC, article 210-15(c), emphasis added again:

Where installed in raceways, as open work or as concealed knob-and-tube work, the ungrounded conductor shall be identified by any color other than as specified in (a) and (b) above. All ungrounded conductors of the same color shall be connected to the same ungrounded feeder conductor and the conductors for systems of different voltages shall be of different colors.

Exception: As permitted in section 200-7.

There is then a recommendation that basic circuits for a single wiring system use black, black/red, or black/red/blue as phases.

This whole article is marked as changed from the previous edition.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-06-2005).]

Y
Nice finds, Paul!

As I read the code, orange is really only a suggested color for the high-leg on a 4w delta, not mandatory...

That is how I read it as well. Anyone know of any jurisdictions where "other effective means" are used? [Linked Image]

The 1971 NEC says the same thing in article 200-6(c), just with slightly different wording, but has a bar indicating a change beside the part which mentions orange or other effective means.

Paul, how'd you think to look for this in Article 200? I wouldn't have found it there, that's for sure! I guess since it only applies where the neutral is present in the enclosure, it makes some amount of sense to put it in Article 200 (the present-day requirement applies whether the neutral is present or not).

Could this be when the orange high-leg was added to the code?

Yes, that's when it was added. '68 prescribes "tagging or other effective means."

I can't find anything in the 2002 code against doing that, but it seems as though it would have been a violation at one time. 1971 NEC, article 210-15(c)...

Paul, I think you are referring to 210-5(c). There is no 210-15 in the '71 NEC. Here is 210-5(c) in the '75 NEC:

(c)Ungrounded Conductor. Ungrounded conductors of different voltages shall be of different color or identified by other means.

210-5(c) disappears entirely in '78, its relevant information having been moved to 310.10 in '75.

My Goodness, Paul [Linked Image]

Have you moved to the US?
Your Code book collection is impressive, and your information great!

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-06-2005).]

I
I have read on these forums that some power companies require purple to be the high leg marking and some also want the high leg in position 'C'

By the way your right, Paul is very helpful. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Y
Here's the 1959 NEC:

210-5. Color Code. Where installed in raceways, as open work, or as concealed knob and tube work, the conductors of multi-wire branch circuits and two-wire branch circuits connected to the same system shall conform to the following color code. Three-wire circuits--one black, one white, one red; four-wire circuits--one black, one white, one red, one blue; five-wire circuits--one black, one white, one red, one blue, one yellow. Where more than one multi-wire branch circuit is carried through a single raceway the ungrounded conductors of the additional circuit may be of colors other than those specified. All circuit conductors of the same color shall be connected to the same ungrounded feeder conductor throughout the installation.
Any conductor intended solely for grounding purposes shall be identified by a green color unless it is bare. Conductors having a green covering shall not be used for other than grounding purposes.
FPN: See section 200-7 for use of white or natural gray for grounded or neutral conductors.

Cat Servant
To answer an earlier-voiced concern: these panels often have a set of "keyhole" slots in either direction, so the panel can be mounted either way. I'm pretty sure that there is another such slot, oriented "correctly", concealed by the wires at the top of the panel.

I have no problem with edison-base fuses. Until quite recently, my place had them; the only thing I did differently was to use edison-base breakers in place of the 'one-use' fuses. (Correct amp ratings, of course).

For a '60's panel, this one is quite neat, and hasn't been added to much.
I would narrow the time frame down to "early '60's." I seem to recall circuit breakers taking over by1965.

P
Sorry for the late follow-up.....

Your Code book collection is impressive, and your information great!

Not that great I'm afraid, as I have precisely two NEC code books, the 2002 thanks to the generosity of an ECN member and the 1971 thanks to eBay.

Paul, how'd you think to look for this in Article 200? I wouldn't have found it there, that's for sure!

I think I was just looking up "Delta" in the index:

Delta-Connected,4-wire, 3-Phase Supply, Identifying high leg, 200-6(c).

Yes, that's when it was added. '68 prescribes "tagging or other effective means."

Ah, so that's got the orange pinned down. Haven't we had threads in the past in which it's been said that in the 50s/60s some areas commonly used red for the high leg?

Paul, I think you are referring to 210-5(c). There is no 210-15 in the '71 NEC.

Oops, yes, that was a slip. [Linked Image] I meant 210-5(c).

By the way your right, Paul is very helpful.

May I quote you on that? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-12-2005).]

S
Also looks like another problem - right side of panel, third terminal up (second pic) - That yellow insulation looks like it goes right under the tightened screw head and pokes out the other side. It's either an optical illusion or the electrician was half asleep...

P
I don't think it goes right through, but it does look as though there might be a little insulation trapped under the screw:

[Linked Image]

Y
Well, my follow-up is late, considering I thought this was a dead thread...

Haven't we had threads in the past in which it's been said that in the 50s/60s some areas commonly used red for the high leg?

Nicknames for the 208V-to-ground phase of a four-wire delta:

high leg
wild leg
stinger leg
red leg
orange leg
bastard leg

Have I missed any?

Also, is there any country besides the USA which possesses such a strange beast?

There may have been some areas that used red. Anybody know?

Here in Austin the colors for 208 service are red-black-blue, and have been since at least WWII. For delta they are red-orange-black (B-phase being 208). On old deltas (usually '50s), I've found red-black-blue, and the blue is always the high leg.

I've even found this on single-family residences from the '50s. The earliest central air conditioning systems apparently required 3-phase ('round here we take our air conditioning seriously!)

[This message has been edited by yaktx (edited 01-06-2006).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard