ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151838 05/11/03 10:13 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
I found this in a box of stuff when we cleaned out my grandma's house. (the one on the left. Also the newer one in the middle also came from grandma's).

-wa2wise
Thanks!

P
Interesting. I've wondered about those receptacles with dual T-slots before.

When exactly did it become standard for the parallel blades (5-15) to be 120V and the in-line blades (6-15) to be 240V only?

D
Here is my addition to this topic, this is a Hubbell with the matching plate!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-21-2003).]

http://www.noveltyradio.com
gary@noveltyradio.com
W
Desoto, do you have any extras of that cover plate you'd let go? My mom's house uses that style, and would like to have extras for new outlets or replacements.

D
I will have to check around to see what I have. Since getting interested in this network and board it has sparked interest in my older electrical stuff that I have accumulated throughout the years! I even have lightbulbs from the 20's;original Mazdas!! I will scrounge around and get back to you on this!
Please visit my websites! www.noveltyradio.com and www.noveltyradio.com/family.html

[This message has been edited by desoto (edited 05-21-2003).]

http://www.noveltyradio.com
gary@noveltyradio.com
S
Heyy...how come nobody puts little designs like that on the socket faces anymore???

They're just plain plastic now. Boring.

WA2ISE, can't tell you how many of those things I've cracked over the years by accident (and then replaced with metal plates after cursing a bit).

I've seen them a lot in Montreal -- in older buildings....

The ones I've seen are always covered in paint. They're sort of pretty looking. Wonder why they stopped making them....

D
Hey....I'm also curious about the t-slot receptacle as well as the 4 prong holed receptacles....I'd guess the 4 prongs were the fore runners to the t slots?

If you look it looks like on the 4 prongs the two tandem blades are very similar to the standard 6-15 receptacle minus the ground prong...or the horizontal slots on the t-slot receptacle.

I'd like to know what the tandem blade plugs were used on? It looks like it was obviously a 240 volt power source with a 10-15 amp max draw load.

Anyone know?

E
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000199.html

My workplace actually has some of the four-prong and double T outlets installed, though none of them are actually used for anything.

C
I also wonder why those plates aren't made anymore. They are sure pretty and they can't be more costly to make than the plain cover plates once the mold is set up.

I have some old decorative plates, but these have a neat design in the corners. Also have some with a gothic or arts & crafts look on the border. they are old brown plates from the 30's, before ivory came out.

My house was built in '35 and has 2 of the original single outlets in 2 bedrooms with the corner scrollwork in it. House also has 4 original pushbuttons also.

C
Simply, it is setting up the mould that costs,especially for that intricacy.

Plus there would be costs to the factory in keeping that line separate (most of the production would still be for the smooth plate), and in the supply houses in stocking them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard