ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 106 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Our company(call center) is currently moving into some additoinal space. The landlord insists on doing much of the building reno. Our contrator only doing inside work.
First
They cut holes in block wall for windows go home day. 3:00am call comes in roof fell down. They did no blocking or support and the block wall gave out take a 50 foot wide by 100 foot length of roof. Took a bunch conduits for fiber phone etc. Restaraunt in other part of building had no Debit for three days because of phones out.
Next week they cut hole in roof for AC and add supports etc. Inspector comes. Welding inspection fails.

Rains three days later and the newly fixed roof(not the part that fell in. that's still down) leaks all over the newly installed raised floor for the Lan room.
Just waiting to see what happens this week. We are supposed to fire up the UPS Friday. They rerouted the power conduits/lines around the down roof.
These are all the landlords contractors. Our guy would never let this stuff happen.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
E
e57 Offline
So now my worst close calls.....

Installing box for sconce on fifth floor over a floor that wasn't poured yet, so the "floor" was rebar and plywood. It was like walking on a tramoline. Someone walks by, and thier wieght tilted my ladder, next guy goes by and knocks my ladder by accident as its still moving from the first, I fall 5'! I then bounce off the floor, and on to the window framing on my back, roll out the window, and on to the outside scaffold below on the next floor down. As I am sliding face first toward the next floors, the stucco guys grab my tool belt and pulls me back up. Meanwhile my bags are emptying on to the side-walk below.

Drinks were on me for those two guys for the rest of the summer. I didn't get hurt, but years later I have funny back problems...

The other one is while I was closing a service side termination can while 20' up on an extention ladder. As I'm closing the can, one of the kerney's spung out, and I pushed the cover againt it, pushing throught my own "what I thought was good" tape job. The resulting short blew a 5" hole in the cover at eye level, luckily I blinked at the right moment, or I wouldn't be able to see this screen today. So I loose balance due to being startled by the explossion and minor slag burns on my face, and fall with one leg hung up on the ladder. The ladder rolls, falls and I ride it in a radius to the ground. No broken bones, no blindness, just a couple of pin-spot burns. And some lucky lessons on what not to do.... (Practically a laundry list.)

The next day, I have to check and re-tape my kerney, and go put a new cover on this box. I get there, and it takes me over an hour to stop shaking, and even longer to go put the cover on.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
J
Man, E, your close calls read like an episode of Tom & Jerry, or Wild E. Coyote.

M
New OSHA regulation!!!! E57 is to be tethered off to a point capable of supporting 5000 lbs. if he does not have his feet on the ground.

B
If i give you $10 will you buy me some tickets.

P
A couple of years ago I was doing a partial rewire on a Vicrotian house and the GC was removing some old gas heaters.

I saw him tackle the first one by stopping the end of the pipe, having his assistant turn the gas on, and putting his ear to the end to "listen" for a leak. As I saw him take a lighter from his pocket and strike it I decided to beat a hasty retreat, making excuses that I'd run out of something and had to go back to the supply house.

I went and had brunch in town and figured I'd come back later..... If the place was still standing! [Linked Image]

K

T
Well, my uncle (plumber) told me there's nothing bad with the match-technique as long as you try it instantly after turning on the gas!
There won't be enough gas-air mix for an explosion, just a very tiny flame. Gas doesn't have that much pressure. I've seen him try that after repairing our kitchen stove.

He also took apart our main gas valve live to fix it (it was leaking and there was a pressure test scheduled). He couldn't really turn off the gas for all apartments, so he decided to do it live. He handed my dad a wet rag and told him to push it into the opening... didn't even smell too bad. And if there had been significant amounts of gas in the air it would have smelled!!!

G
The guy from the gas company (Washington Gas Light) used a match to test my water heater when he set it up (1971). I guess old timers believed the smell of the gas was enough to prevent blowing up the house. It is like old sparkys who test circuits with a calloused finger.

Greg Fretwell
kale,
That's a shocker of a story.
Mind you, it just goes to show how easily things like this can happen.
Wow Paul, I don't think I'd want to be around to see the results of a dumb act like that!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard